1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No sound from speakers

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by mcalister, Sep 23, 2004.

1. mcalister

mcalister Regular member

My brother has the following applications installed on his computer: forceaspi18, powerdvd v.xp 5.0, music match jukebox v. 7.2, and wmp v. 9.0. When he plays a dvd using powerdvd it plays and sounds fine.
    When he plays a music cd in music match or wmp the cd seems to play but he gets no sound through his speakers. Any suggestions on how we can remedy this ? ps: he has no internet connection at this time. Can this pose a speaker problem ? When he reboots his computer the speakers don't seem to work either. Thanks for youe help, strone

2. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

The DVD audio is playing back digitally.
    I suspect you are playing back music CDs analog.
    You can do two things:
    -make sure the little analog audio cable is in place, between the optical drive and the soundboard.
    -switch your CD playback to digital. There is a setting for this in WMP, under Tools > Options > Devices > select drive > Properties
    I use error correction, you should too.
    Let us know if this fixes you up ;-)
    Regards

3. mcalister

mcalister Regular member

Thanks for your advice OGS, I'll try these two things and get back to you later. Man I tell you we were both pulling our freegin hair out over this.

4. mcalister

mcalister Regular member

Hey OGS we found out that the audio cable was disconnected from his drive. We pluged it back in and changed the settings in wmp to digital and clicked on error correction, restarted the computer and now the sound is working fine at startup, and wmp and musicmatch both play cds very well now. Again thanks a million for your help. strone

5. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Kewl :)
    Just so you know, that little audio cable is strictly analog.
    You guys should probably have switched to digital 'from the beginning' but, if the audio cable had been properly in place, you would still be happily listening to analog...
    That cable is definitely needed, for audio when playing some games with audio from CDRom.
    So now you've got your cable, plus you've switched to digital, it's a win - win situation ;-)
    L8R