1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No sound on DVD

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by geriman, Mar 24, 2005.

1. geriman

geriman Guest

Hi there. HELP! Please...

I've only ever transferred home video from a miniDV camcorder to DVD before (no problems) using pinnacle instant CD/DVD.
    However, I'm now trying to convert an avi file into a DVD, and it's a NIGHTMARE.

Got the file from japan (NTSC), initially no video until I got the correct codec (realplayer found it, windows media useless), so now it plays fine on PC. However I converted it to DVD and burnt it - and no sound at all. Picture's fine. Original file still plays fine.

I tried editing it using win film maker, no problems, but the pinnacle software won't accept the new edited file.

And interestingly, in the past I've had no sound from the pinnacle software whilst editing home video, but it's there on the final DVD, which is why I didn't realise there was a problem until I tried to play the disc - is that usual?
    All I've done differently is put one of the mpeg sounds that are part of instantcd/dvd on the menu of the DVD - and that works OK.

Any ideas? I've got a 3.3gb processor, winXP and a toshiba DVD burner. I think it's pinnacle 8.

2. geriman

geriman Guest

By the way, it's a video from a deleated VHS guitar instructional tape, not a pirate copy of pixar's latest!

3. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

Two possible reasons:

1) You don't have all the necessary codecs. Note that there are two kinds of codecs: those for decoding (such that you can view the video), and those for encoding (such that you can burn). From your post, it seems that you have found the right codec for decoding (viewing) but not encoding (burning). If so, try download and install the K-lite Codec Pack (full version) from here (read the instructions carefully):

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_Lite_Codec_Pack.htm

2) Your burning/converting program is not integrating well with the codecs. If that is the case, try use a converting program that allows and guides you to choose the right codec for the conversion (e.g. Power Video Converter, X Video Converter).

Good luck!

4. geriman

geriman Guest

Thanks, I'll do it when I get home.

By the way, it strikes me a bit strange that I can't hear the audio playback when I've edited material in the past using the instantcd/dvd software in the past, unlike with winfilm maker - is that normal for Pinnacle (ie flawed) or is there some sound option I've missed - because I can't find anything about sound in the package other than the sounds one puts on the menu page.

5. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

Sorry, but I don't use Pinnacle. However, I understand that it's a very good program being used extensively. So the problem may not be with the program. If you would give more info., I or other people here might be able to help.

6. geriman

geriman Guest

Basically, after importing a file (eg. home movie from miniDV, in my case), you then move onto an editing window, which has a small video screen and mouse activated buttons to play, ff, rr, etc., and where you can split the film into chapters, create a menu page etc. And there is a "mute" option on the page, so I'd expect sound. However, I've never heard any sound whilst I've edited anything, and I was quite worried the first time I did any burning.

However, the finished product has always had sound, until I moved on from camcorder material to a downloaded avi file - suddenly everything has become far more complicated! So I assume there's a sound setting somewhere, but for the life of me I can't find it.

7. geriman

geriman Guest

OK, tried again after installing k lite, still no luck , so I tried using ULead video studio, and it specifically complained that it was unable to access the correct audio codex. But it didn't tell me which.

Is there an audio codex bundle somewhere?

8. geriman

geriman Guest

Oh, and the codec required to PLAY the avi file was a DivX one, if that's any use.

9. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

If you check the k-lite codec pack folder, you'll see a 'readme_full.rtf' file. Open it and you'll find all the codecs listed. Divx is of course there. Alternatively, run 'gspot' from the same pack, and click 'list codecs' under 'system'. You'll probably also see Divx there. So now you can be sure that you HAVE the necessary codecs. In other words, now it's something to do with the program(s) that you use for encoding and burning. Two suggestions:
    1) Try download a more flexible program (e.g. DVDSanta at http://www.dvdsanta.com/) and see if it works.
    2) Try download and use a video converting program (e.g. X video converter at http://www.aoamedia.com/) to change the codec of the avis or convert them into other formats (e.g. mpeg).
    Good luck!

10. geriman

geriman Guest

OK, tried the x videro converter, and it worked - sort of. Pinnacle can now read the file. However the video and audio are now increasingly out of sync as you go through the video. And given that it's a guitar instructional video that's quite crucial.

Can't understand why that's happened.

11. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

This is not uncommon. But first try this: With X Video Converter, choose Xvid for the video codec and mpeg layer 3 for the audio. After the conversion, play the resulting avi file to see if the video and audio match. If so, try use a different burning program (e.g. Nero) for the final burning.

12. geriman

geriman Guest

I'd give it a go, but the only audio options are:

WM speech encoder DMO
    WMaudio encoder DMO
    uncompression
    3ivx D4 audio encoder (I'll try that one)
    Vorbis encoder

Thanks to all who've tried to help.

Apparently pinnacle can only cope with AVI type 2, whatever that means, and windows moviemaker uses AVI type 1. Whatever that means.

13. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

Strange, on my system I have about 20 different audio codecs, all coming basically with the K-Lite Codec Pack.

14. geriman

geriman Guest

OK, ready? I think I might have cracked it.

Used windows movie maker to convert the divx file to an avi/dvd file (9gb).

I happen to have cool edit pro, which I used to split audio and video, ensure they're aligned correctly, then mixed the two channels to a DIFFERENT avi file (450Mb).

THEN I used Ulead video studio basic to change it to a mpg file(450Mb) which FINALLY pinnacle will recognise and edit.

It's late, I'm tired, and pinnacle has just crashed because I scrolled through the file too fast (dammit), so I'll start again tomorrow and do it in real time without scrolling - and then we'll see!

And I'm never doing this again!!!

15. geriman

geriman Guest

Yup, it worked.

Phew, that only took a week.

Thanks for all the help folks, without the info on codecs I'd never have managed it.

16. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

Glad that it worked, tho' you're using softwares that I don't use myself. *_*