1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NO spin version 10

Discussion in 'PS2' started by scampo77, Feb 9, 2008.

1. scampo77

scampo77 Member

i have a problem with version 10 mobo # GH-026. it was working fine and i tried re soldering focusing coils onto a burnt out laser. the replacement laser is a 400b and the original laser is a 400c . it is deffinatly acting like a blown fuse because the second i tried the "new" laser it immidiatly stopped spinning with any laser installed.im not sure if its the 400c vs 400b or a botched soldering job and it doesnt really matter ill chuck the bad laser never to be used again. right now the symptoms are as follows.

absolutly no spin. (motor and laser are both new and 100%)

when i start the machine it does not recgnize a disc at all. it just flashes it is reading then stops and says "no data" its not a DRE

if anyone would be kind enough to link me to a place to buy the replacement fuse and a way to check these. i actually have 3 different mobs's im working with and all 3 have the same symptoms.

is this a BA/LA chip? a fuse? something else? how do i check?

2. drklrd1

drklrd1 Member

3. scampo77

scampo77 Member

is it possible to get a picture of where the LA fuses are? and do i just check them for continuity? can i just temporarily bypass them to see if this is the problem? im very new to this and im not sure what a PCB fuse even looks like. nothing looks badly melted on any of them. im working with 3 different GH-026 mobos right now. also where do i get new fuses or LA chips?

4. scampo77

scampo77 Member

i found a "ps13" that is possibly bad, what is this fuse for? could this be my problem? can i temp bypass it to test?

5. scampo77

scampo77 Member

im pretty sure this is bad. under a microscope i can see burning. this thing is really really small. how the hell am i supposed to solder this?

6. drklrd1

drklrd1 Member

If you can send a pic of your PS2 board, I will try to locate the scope points. Read the link I sent regarding BA/LA. (trying not to double post)
    Get the parts you need from a used unit, I don't know of any store that have them. Soldering the little fuses can be a bear, (yes, it is a fuse) Until you find out why it burned, you shouldn't bypass it.

7. scampo77

scampo77 Member

thanks for the info. i found some fusable link that was .5 amp. i bent it into place then put it in my deep freezer overnight. now it works again and it was the exact same thing for all 3 mobos.

i would love to get some info on the tp points but i think i wouldnt be able to take very good pictures and im not even to sure which side or which quadrant im looking at. i found this link which helped me with my fuse problem and the pictures are great. can you please try and use these and let me know if you see anything. i am working with version 10 (GH-026) and version 4 (GH-010)

http://www.boxmodz.com/psrtech/fuses.htm

can you find laser tp just by looking at the board? because that would be great i also have a sega saturn that needs a laser alignment. but for now id be greatful for help with the ps2's

8. drklrd1

drklrd1 Member

Whatever you found and put in the freezer is NOT a fusible link.
    A fusible link is A FUSED WIRE, when it goes, it's gone!

anyway, The scope points you need for the V4 board (going by the pic) are top right to the left of PS8, in the center is your GP. Same section, just below (pic shows a yellow dot) is you TP.
    Good luck!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2008
  9. scampo77

scampo77 Member

i bought 2 feet of fusible link. when i tried to solder it, it melted and blew so i froze it and was quick and it worked. i couldnt find anything else small enough to fit on the board.

10. scampo77

scampo77 Member

im sorry but i dont understand? i cant find the ground or the test point according to those directions. what about the version 10? where are they on that board? so far after 3 months of looking and posting this is the closest i have gotten to finding these points.