1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No subs on stand alone DVD player.

Discussion in 'Subtitle help' started by group6, Jul 22, 2013.

1. group6

group6 Member

I want to hardcode subs to avi for stand alone DVD player. I used AVI ReComp 1.5.5, It installed Vobsub 2.23, AviSynth 2.3, Xvid codec already installed. I used the accompanying srt file. AVI ReComp re encoded the avi with the subs, played on PC. Then used ConvertX5 to convert that subtitled avi to DVD for stand alone player. That rendered video had no visible subs, even in VLC. So I just added the srt file to another ConvertX project, I could see the subs in the preview. After conversion and burn, The subs are visible on PC. (though way to big but thats another problem. Trying convert the srt to ssa was a descent into hell) so Im sticking to the original problem, no visible subs on stand alone DVD player. WTF am I doing wrong?

2. attar

attar Senior member

If the subs were encoded, they are now part of the video - they can't help but be visible on the DVD version.
    Without second guessing you, do you want them in DVD format; because your standalone player can't display avi (DivX) files? - and why do you want them hard coded to the video instead of being switchable.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  3. group6

group6 Member

Exactly, how could they not be visible?

4. attar

attar Senior member

AvsToDVD has a setting for hard encoding a DVD (Title > Edit title, select the subtitle tab and check the box for hard encode).
    Then Title > Preview title, to test.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  5. group6

group6 Member

6. group6

group6 Member

Ran it through AvsToDVD, output is the AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders. Now just burn those to a DVD?

My cat must of posted the previous post I started.

7. attar

attar Senior member

Yes.

8. group6

group6 Member

Now how easy was that? AVI ReComp and VobSub and virtual dub and avi synth and ConvertXtoDVD ($50??) and all the plug ins and other crap. Jeez. AvsToDVD was fast, easy, accurate, good size and placement of hard coded subs. Burned with ImgBurn. Done. Thanks attar