1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No Subtitles In Movie Once Copied

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by rzep, May 13, 2004.

1. rzep

rzep Member

I have been copying dvd to dvd for a while now and have never come across this problem.
    Part of the movie I have copied is in Chinese and the original shows subtitles in these parts but my copied version does not show any subtitles. I copy every movie the same and dont change and settings.
    Can someone help with the problem?
    The movie is "the last samurai"
    Thanks

Last edited: May 13, 2004
  2. daba

daba Guest

Hi rzep,

What program did you use to create the backup ? Did you do a full-disc backup or did you re-author ? Did you select all the subtitles available on the disc or did you skip some of them ?

Daba

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2004
  3. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

IF you are using DVDxExpress that can also happen. It strips down the video files to save space and quility. What backup program are you using?

4. rzep

rzep Member

I am using DVD Decryptor and DVD Shrink.

5. kyle808

kyle808 Member

It could be the your stand alone DVD player. Mine Toshiba is weird, on one of my Hong Kong movies, the subtitles will show up in PowerDVD but not on my Toshiba... Try the DVD in another DVD player, some of them are picky about subtitle don't know why.

6. rzep

rzep Member

Thanks but have tried it in 4 different dvd players and they all dont show the subtitles. Only the original is showing them.

7. kyle808

kyle808 Member

okay, You're talking about a Chinese version of The last samurai right? chinese audible with English subtitles?

I burned the American version and subtitles are working fine.

Now I do have this version Shallow Hal for the Chinese market I guess, cover is full of chinese words, the movie is in English, but when I burned it the subtitles will not show up on my toshiba, but works in PowerDVD..

Does your subtitles come on if you play in PowerDVD, Realplayer or Windows Media Player?

I've had several subtitle issues with only Chinese/Hong Kong movies already.. very weird.. works in computer DVD player but not stand alone.

8. daba

daba Guest

Hi rzep,

I come again with the same questions. Did you do a full-disc backup or did you re-author ? Did you select all the subtitles available on the disc or did you skip some of them ?

Daba

9. rzep

rzep Member

I did a full disk backup. I never use the re author. (still not 100% sure about this)
    I never tick or untick anything in the subtitles or anywhere.
    I just decrypt and then shrink it as is.
    Is there something that I need to select?

10. daba

daba Guest

Well, you can do a quick test. Insert your original disc in your PC drive, run Shrink and open the DVD. Then have a look at the list of subtitles. Are they [bold]all[/bold] selected ?

11. kyle808

kyle808 Member

well, if you're doing a complete backup withouth re-authoring in DVDShrink then you SHOULD get everything. Cuz when you do that you get all the subtitles for sure.

There 2 possibility, one, it's because it's a Foreign/Hong kong/chinese DVD and that's causing the problem.. I know cuz it happened to me sometimes.. reasoning I'm not sure why...

Two, DVD Shrink is somehow omitting the substitles for whatever reason during the ripping and compression process... If you put the backup copy and run DVD Shrink... does the subtitles show up?

Again, does subtitles show up on PowerDVD if you play the backup on the computer?

12. Veblin

Veblin Active member

kyle808, that's not the way it works. daba had it correct.

In DVD Shrink Preferences if you don't have it set.
    Subpicture Language: All Languages
    Then only one language will be selected unless you manually do it.
    If you have checked.
    Disable all subpicture except menus and forced streams
    Then no languages will be selected unless you manually do it.

13. kyle808

kyle808 Member

Really? I did not know that. Everytime I pop in a DVD in DVDShrink for me it has everything checked.. all the subtitles by default are checked. So I just thought it was a default setting for DVDShrink. thanks for the tip.

14. rzep

rzep Member

I am trying to copy an Australian R4 Original of The Last Samurai. The whole movie doesn't have subtitles but in some parts of the movie when the chinese people are talking there are subtitles BUT my copied version doesn't show them
    I am confused as to what to do. Can someone give me a point to point idea?
    This is what I do.
    I use DVD Decrypt. I do not change any settings in there.
    Then I go to shrink. I have not changed anything there either. Is there something that needs to be ticked??? I do a full backup and don't use the re author button.'
    Thanks

15. daba

daba Guest

Hi rzep,

When you run Shrink and open the VIDEO_TS folder created by Decrypter, Shrink shows the DVD structure on the left and the "Compression settings" tab on the right. In this "Compression settings" tab, there is something called "Subpicture". There should be a list of languages below (or at least one language). Are they [bold]all[/bold] selected ?

If you don't see any language under "Subpicture", open the DVD directly with Shrink (without using Decrypter):
    - insert the DVD into your PC's drive,
    - in Shrink, click on the "Open disc" button, select your drive and click OK.
    Shrink will analyse the DVD briefly and then show its structure and the "Compression settings" tab. There you should see the languages for the subtitles.

Daba

16. Azray

Azray Member

I have had the same thing happen with a movie called the emerald forest. I have tried using reauthor and full disc copy in dvd shrink 3.1 with all subtitles selected, even languages I do not want, and the sections of the movie where the subtitle stream should be forced regardless of whether the english subtitle stream is enabled or not, do not appear. It does not matter whether I play it on my pioneer standalone, or with power dvd they do not show up.

17. StanH1000

StanH1000 Regular member

On KILLBILL vol 1 movie there are two english subtitle tracks, one for the entire movie and another just for the scenes when chinese is spoken. The original movie defaults to select the "as needed" subtitle tract, but after shrink re author takes the menues etc. out of the movie, no subtitles are automatically started even if the tract is encluded in the re author rip and burn. Therefore, when the copy is played, must deliberately select subtitle on the stand alone player (or its remote), and the titles will come on when needed.
    You probably have a similar situation. If the subtitles are on the copy you burned, you may still have to enable subtitles on the player to activate them.

18. CrazyEli

CrazyEli Member

I am having a similar problem. I am copying a Japanese Samurai movie using Decrypter and Shrink. I am making a full disc backup and ALL LANGUAGES is selected. I am using a Lite-On SOHW 812S drive to make the backup on DVD-R 1X Samsung discs.

What I get is a perfect backup except that my brand new SONY DVP-NS715P DVD player that is DVD-R compatible, can't see the subtitles while Power DVD can.

I have already created 5 coasters. My inclination is to buy higher quality media but I am afraid that I will be just wasting more time and money.

Does anyone have a solution???

19. StanH1000

StanH1000 Regular member

If power dvd player can see subtitles, they are there and i doubt it is a media problem. Fiddle with the player settings (sometimes only available on remote), to enable next subtitle tract and see what happens. You may even have all subtitles "locked out" somewhere on the setup menues.

20. CrazyEli

CrazyEli Member

I have tried everything with my player and remote. It let's me select English Sub-Titles but they do not show up on the screen. I have even tried to play it on a Pioneer DVD player and the same thing. No sub-titles are viewable.