1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No UMD mode not working (error 80020321)

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by zero01, Jun 6, 2007.

1. zero01

zero01 Member

First off, my firmware history... 2.60 -> 2.71 -> 1.50 -> 3.40OE-A. I reformatted my ms before/after each update and everything went fine. Also, my psp is a TA-082, but that shouldn't matter at this point.

The problem I'm having is whenever I enable No UMD in recovery I always get 'The game could not start (80020321)' error message.(I've tried this with 3-4 different games now)

This is the same error you get if you have No UMD disabled and you forget to put a UMD in. So basically my PSP still seems to think it needs a game in there even when No UMD is enabled. (and having a real UMD in there doesn't fix it)

Also, the games DO work if I disable No UMD and have a real UMD in there, but some games only work with No UMD.. which is my problem.

I've tried... reformatting my memory stick, formatting flash1, resetting default settings, a number of different combinations in the Advanced -> Advanced part of recovery.. and I still get the same error message regardless if No UMD is enabled.

Anyone have any ideas? At this point I think it either has to be the memory stick (i'm using a Lexar 4GB) or something went wrong flashing the the firmware..

2. schism123

schism123 Member

3. zero01

zero01 Member

Hmmm, thanks for that list, but all 3 games I'm trying here say they should work with No UMD.. but I'm still getting that error message whenever I try to do it.

4. dEEz_nUtz

dEEz_nUtz Regular member

when you go into the recovery mode, in the advanced part-uncheck all the options-and make certain that the UMD you are using is a game and not a movie-otherwise could be a corrupted ISO-If you think its firmware related-they have that recovery to 1.50 setup, then you could start over fresh..

5. zero01

zero01 Member

yeah, I've tried some more things since my original post..

First I used recovery to 1.50, back to 3.40OE-A.. same exact error message when no UMD is enabled.

Then I used recovery to 1.50, and went to 3.03OE-C this time.. same exact error message when no UMD is enabled.

The only thing I have enabled in the recovery menu is the no UMD mode, but changing anything else still gives me the exact same error message. so it seems like if I turn on no UMD mode, it's impossible to get anything to load currently.. any other ideas?

6. dEEz_nUtz

dEEz_nUtz Regular member

from what I understand you need to have NO UMD disabled in recovery mode,and the three options disabled in the advanced config in order to run the ISO's from the memory stick--in a perfect world..

Do you get that error when you play the actual UMD game?
    Maybe trying a different memory stick?
    Perhaps a corrupted flash you have? Did you try a different one, or use the same file each time you reverted firmwares?

7. Shaner84

Shaner84 Member

I have a Lexar 4GB as well and I am running 3.40E-A and was getting the same error so i switched to a Sony MS and the error went away. I don't think the PSP likes Lexar MS

8. Shaner84

Shaner84 Member

9. scrum

scrum Member

I checked the link you left cause I'm having some trouble with a couple of backups as well and read this line:

"Go into recovery menu , toggle flash1 usb and delete "config.se". see if that works...... if not delete all of flash1"

What scenario would I have to be in where I would want to delete config.se? What does deleting that do?

10. Nblufire2

Nblufire2 Member

can someone please tell me how to get in recovery mode
    i turn it off...
    then i turn it on and hold down the R

right??
    IT nO WOrK!

11. dEEz_nUtz

dEEz_nUtz Regular member

are you using custom firmware, or official Sony?