1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No video for some GC backups

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by Saicho, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Saicho

Saicho Member

Hey all,

I have a WiiKey which is correctly installed. All my Wii backups play fine, and seems like the emulators that boot through GC work fine as well.

However, there's a backup that I would really like to play that is not working. I know it loads, the sound works great (I can tell since the controller responds and I can hear the menues) but the video is not working. Has anyone experienced this before? I've turned on region override in the wiikey settings (I have an NTSC Wii). I'm using the composite cable for the Wii, and will try the RCA cable later tonight (although I don't see why that would make any difference).

I've downloaded multiple versions of the backup and the same thing happens. I thought it might have been a bad gcm or iso but I think I ruled that possibility out. I have the GC mini-disk of course but I have no idea how to make a backup myself.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I've yet to try a PAL Wii backup for my NTSC Wii.

2. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Is the game disc a PAL region?

If so try booting the Game Cube game via GCoS. I don't have a Wiikey but someone that did have 1 said you could boot into GCoS (GameCube Operating System) homebrew mode. I would assume you use the Wiikey setup disc for this.

Then force it to play in either...

X=PAL 50Hz

L=PAL 60Hz

3. Saicho

Saicho Member

Thanks larry, I was hoping you'd reply =) I'll try that soon and reply with my update.

4. Saicho

Saicho Member

Ok, the GCOS trick didn't work, but I was playing some more and put the WiiKey disk in again and wanted to check the region override settings, they were OFF!! I'm sure I turned them on, so I turned them on, saved the settings, reset the console, went back to the menu and the region override settings were off again! Ahh! How do I fix that? Why isn't my WiiKey configuration being saved? I think this is the problem.

5. NDarkness

NDarkness Regular member

No. Every time when you insert the disc and go to the menu, it always goes to the default settings. If you put on the override and reset the console, it's still there. So don't worry about that.

Anyways, what game is it? It's a PAL game playing on a NTSC Wii right?

6. Saicho

Saicho Member

Well I guess the disk doesn't detect the WiiKey settings so I should have region override on, but it still doesn't work. I'm downloading a for-sure USA NTSC release of the GC game atm and will try that, but I doubt it will work.

7. Saicho

Saicho Member

NTSC Wii, I think I tried both the PAL and the NTSC version with and without GCOS and all the different display settings on GCOS for NTSC and PAL.

8. NDarkness

NDarkness Regular member

What game is it specifically?

9. Saicho

Saicho Member

Smash Bros Melee. Ironically, I just finished downloading a for-sure NTSC version of it which worked right off the bat.

So I tried putting in a PAL version of Wario Ware to see if the Wii can play PAL games. The Wiimote turned off, and the Wii was kind of stuck, I could eject the disk but had to do a hard reset on the console to restart it. Hmmmmm....?

10. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Wario Ware Smooth Moves is not region compatible with your NTSC(U) Wii. So it will lock up the Wii.

Not all out of region game disc can be played on your NTSC(U) Wii. they have to be region compatible in order to work. The below link has a compatibility list that list what out of region games work and which ones that don't work...

You will need to look under the sections of...

PAL TO NTSC(U) For PAL games that work on NTSC(U) Wii Systems.

or

NTSC(J) TO NTSC(U) For NTSC(J) games that work on NTSC(U) Wii Systems.

http://wiki.gbatemp.net/index.php/Wii_Region_Free_Patcher_Compatibility_List#NTSC-U_.28USA.29_to_PAL

So looking under PAL TO NTSC(U) on that list for Wario Ware it list the below for that game...

0065 WarioWare: Smooth Moves (PI) Tested with Wiikey. Recognizes disc, locks up on load

Last edited: Jun 26, 2007
  11. Saicho

Saicho Member

thanks much!