1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No video/sound and no disc spin

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Xerogen, Mar 15, 2003.

1. Xerogen

Xerogen Member

Hi,
    I installed a DMS3 in my v7 PS2 and there was no video/sound and no disc spin. Then I opened it and found that the power cable was disconnected. I noticed that there was no solder to the side of the component where the wire was supposed to be soldered. I must have accidently taken it off earlier as I was having trouble soldering to it. So I then soldered the wire to the alternate power point and reassembled the PS2. When I turned it on it worked as if no chip was installed. So I opened the PS2 again and saw that the power wire was disconnected from the alternate power point. So I soldered that again and checked all the wires. No switches or bridges. When I tried it same problem as the first time, no video/sound and no disc spin. I am thinking that its one of those chips that have a faulty flash chip. So I took the chip out but left all the wires connected to the mainboard including the power and ground. I turned the PS2 on and no video/sound and no disc spin even without any modchip in the system. Is this normal when no chip is connected to the system and the wires are still connected. If not what is wrong?
    Thanks

2. JVegas

JVegas Regular member

I have been asking this same question over and over again and no one knows. Could some please respond if they know. Thx

3. Rodo

Rodo Member

Howdy! I am not a pro, but these are some things I've picked up in my attempt at modding a v5 with DMS3v2:

[hope I'm not stating the obvious]
    If you take out the chip and leave all the wires in, did you insulate all the wire ends? If not, then this can definitely cause problems (shorts, cross connections). Since the system isn't booting (I'm guessing that's what no vid/aud means), triple check your BIOS solder points with an inspector's eyepiece...

If you're having problems with a point that keeps coming off, use tape / glue / silicon to make sure that sucker don't come off (test the point from the ORIGINAL contact, not the solder you just put on, and if it's solid, do whatever you can to make sure it sticks).

I am still in the process of tweaking my DMS3 install (system boots and it recognizes disks in the browser, but there's no sound and the games themselves won't boot), but a guy that used to debug PS2 mods (doesn't do it anymore cuz it can take up LOTS of time) told me the following:

""unless there is an obvious soldering or connection problem, the first troubleshooting steps would be to check all the circuit protector fuses, and then if they are all ok, the chip would have to be removed to test to see if the console incurred any damage. If the console was good, then the chip might be bad or was installed wrong (perhaps bad install diagram from net?, I've seen this too!).""

I know it's not a concrete answer, but hopefully it will help in its own special way. :)

Rodo

4. glassman

glassman Guest

I just finished installing/ troubleshooting my ps2 v5 w/ dms3 v2.0. It worked fine the first time I tried it wile it was still striped to the nill, then when I put it back together it had the same problem as Xerogen or it would go only to browser menu. Then i sripped it again, worked fine. So, I slowly reassembled it, booting it up at each next step and narrowed the problem down to tightening a certain area of the screws that sandwhich the motherboard between the heat sink and the metal mounting bracket. I think it was squeezing on the wires underneeth and causing chatter. Tomorrow I'm going to open it back up and reroute the wires under this spot.
    The dms3 website says that this chip has a problem with crosstalk or chatter between wires that cross paths and some, such as d,e,o,x are really senstive. There are other ones, like m, that need to be laid flat against the motherboard, that alone can cause a blank screen. Also you can't run the wires over any of the large BGA chips top or bottom of the motherboard(more chatter). And last but not least the GROUND wire HAS to be at leat 20 awg and NO LONGER than 2 centemeters long 1 cm. is better(use a ruler).
    I'm going back in tommorow and rerouting the wires in my problem area. I'll let you know how it goes.
    This is a very sesitive chip on the install. Check out the web site I linked it to the trouble shooting page, but if you haven't seen this sight there are links to the rest of the site up at the top that are kind of hard to see.

http://www.dms3.com/diagrams/installation_tips.htm
    Let me know how it goes with yours, later

5. JVegas

JVegas Regular member

Since replying to this I installed about 4 or five of these. The problems I found was the the ground needed to be shorter and the D E wires needed to be completely isolated. I ran them close along the MoBO and put a stripe of electrical tape over the wries near the chip so the others would not have contact when crossing over them. I have since never had a problem with the chip.

I also make sure that every wire is solid to the board and do not "float".

When I had this problem I found a wire got snagged by the casing and was cut. It was grounding itself to the cage and shorting the whole seal.

Replaced the broken wire, isolated D & E, and shotened the ground and it work perfectly.

Just a touchy chip.

6. L-dubb

L-dubb Regular member

I was going to reply w/ exactly what Vegas said. I posted this a while back when the DMS3 2.0 first came out to try and help every one but I guess the thread died. Good job Vegas