1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No video when pc turns on

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Ustop, Sep 26, 2007.

1. Ustop

Ustop Regular member

I'm working on a 5 or 6 year old pc. It was brought to me with the psu pulled out and half the wires unplugged. It has 2800+ athlon, a built in nvidia card, not much ram, and its a hp pavillion. Not sure if any of that is relevant, but problem is, I installed a new psu, and plugged all the wires in. I turn the pc on and fans run, drives runs, hdd sounds like it runs but nothing comes up on the monitor. I tried coming off the back of pc and the video card, nothing. I took the video card out and still nothing. I double checked the wires and there good. From what I have read, its probably the motherboard. Thing is, the pc was a hand me down twice over. So noone seems to know when the last time it worked. At some point somebody got a new psu for it, probably not knowing if the other psu was bad. So maybe something happened when it was moved from one place to the next. I just don't know much about troubleshooting faulty hardware. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Is there a 4-pin +12V connector for the CPU, on the motherboard? If so, is it plugged in?
    That's the common mistake to make.

3. Ustop

Ustop Regular member

Thank you 4 replying. I have checked the motherboard up and down and no 4 pin. The psu came with a 20 pin plus 4 pin. Next to where I plug in the 20 pin there is a 5 pin, not sure what thats for. Don't older motherboards run off 20 pin alone?

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hmm, interesting, I had an XP 3000+ and that had a 4 pin connector.

5. Ustop

Ustop Regular member

6. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

If that is the right board, I couldnt see the 12v 4pin Sam is talking about. Are there any beeps at all? and does it sound like a regular startup, or just fans turning on?

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Indeed, I don't see one either, obviously for that board it isn't required. It may just be a case of the old power supply that went bad fried the motherboard, in which case it'll have to be replaced.

8. Ustop

Ustop Regular member

The fans kick on, it beeps a bunch of times, the drives spin if you insert disc. For sum reason it does not send signal to monitor. Maybe just that part of board is fried.

9. Ustop

Ustop Regular member

Finally got screen to show. But shortly after I got a system fan failure. The fan mounted on cpu is running, but one of the fans on the psu is not. After sum investigating I came to find out that somebody took the fan out of the old psu and tried to scab it into the new one. The new psu has a place for two fans but only came with one? Thus them trying to scab one in? Little confused by that. Has I have stated this is on the older side and the new psu is 500w. Would that make a difference with a older board? Im just goin to get a cheap psu and try to get it to stay runnin, if not, its scrap. Thanx for ur help guys.

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You do realise, though, that by buying a cheap power supply you risk making the situation worse?
    Cheap power supplies are nothing but trouble.