1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No Voices Through 5.1 Surround Sound From .MKV Files! Help!

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by JonnyCrab, Feb 3, 2010.

1. JonnyCrab

JonnyCrab Member

Hello People.

I've got an annoying problem with the audio playback from .MKV video files concerning the speech or voices of actors/characters only. I use VLC to play these video files and music and background noises/sound effects etc. play fine, but no voices can be heard! It seems to be a problem with the channels of the surround sound, like the voices track has been disabled or quietened. The only thing I can think that has changed is the setup or route to my speakers. I have have an Apple MacBook Pro running Mac OSX 10.6.2 (Snow Leopard) connected to a T.C. Electronic Desktop Konnekt 6 Audio Interface/External Sound Card, which goes to my SONY 5.1 Surround sound DVD Player. Anyone have any experience of this problem? I've tried looking through everything, codecs, VLC versions, my audio interfaces's set up. Please help!

2. Takagi

Takagi Regular member

I had a similar problem with some backed up DVD files, For me the problem was resolved when I used DVD Shrink To Back up but instaed of backing up straight away I re-Authored the DVD And Removed the Soundtracks I didnt Want,
    It seems to me that the VLC plyer is simply picking the first available audio channel so you got to make sure the one you want is the first one. Of course this may not fix yours but It Maybe worth a look.

Also just a note I also have a Sony DVD player with 5.1 and its the fussiest player i ever got.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  3. JonnyCrab

JonnyCrab Member

Thanks for the advice, still not had any luck sorting it out. Any ideas on how to pick audio channels in VLC? My Sony DVD Player has always been pretty good to me I thought.. What is fussy about yours? Something to do with the speaker set up, or just carrying out general operations of DVD playback on it?

4. Takagi

Takagi Regular member

Mine doesn,t like some types of DVD's,

In VLC player on the top under the audio heading you can select the audio track, also in tools you can change the dubbing/audio Timing

I hope it helps- Also are you using the most up to date version

5. JonnyCrab

JonnyCrab Member

Thanks. Yes I'm up to date with the latest version. Where is "Tools" in VLC though?

6. Takagi

Takagi Regular member

VLC sound click here
    Looks like VLC does not operate fully on the Mac, You might Try another media player

Although I think it must be only a setting that needs changing as VLC is a very poweful Player and should be easy peasy on any platform.

Still For peace of mind i would try another player Just a suggestion of course

Also there might be some answers on the Digital video for Mac users Forum.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010