1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

noisy fan

Discussion in 'PS2 - Hardware boot discussion' started by cadge, Jan 8, 2007.

1. cadge

cadge Member

hey i have just bought an orignal PS2 and as usual the fan is really noisy i am thinking about cutting it out and adding an external one. just wondering if anyone has done this and if so did they solder the external fan's wires to the PS2 motherboard or just use a transformer

2. Krystovar

Krystovar Regular member

From what I understand, the PS2 was designed so that the placement of the fan needs to be where it's at because there is a lot of heat and it needs to be exhausted out the back.

When I broke my fan connector from the motherboard, I tried one of those external fans that plugs into a USB slot and then blows air in from the front. It didn't work. The console would play for a minute or so and then it would overheat.

3. tony123ab

tony123ab Member

I know once in a while, after taking a ps2 apart sometimes the black and red wire from the fan to the motherboard can get ccaught up next to the fan and the blades have a tendancy to hit against the wire....making it loud.

Before you do anything drastic take it apart and have a look.