1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Noisy PS2 Has Issues....

Discussion in 'PS2' started by jBreak, Feb 12, 2005.

1. jBreak

jBreak Member

I recently upgraded to the flip to case and my PS2 seems to be having some issues. With some games (both originals and backups) the laser makes a ton of noise. It's a clicking/grinding sound. do i just need to re-lubricate the laser (and with what?) or do i have deeper issues?

thanks

2. RemyK313

RemyK313 Regular member

What kind PS2 version is it, and what mods do you have on it? That usually matters.

More on your problem, it sounds like your laser may be damaged, but I really don't know too much about it.

3. Nealio

Nealio Regular member

jBreak: I had the same problem when I put a flip top on my PS2. What I had to do is stick a small (couple pounds only) weight or something on top of the actual flip top part. Currently I am using the head of a hammer to weigh it down and it never makes those noises. I used to use like a 25-pack CDR spindle. I've read that if you stick something behind the white plastic disc holder part, like a piece of cardboard or some nuts, that it'll stop it... so I tried that and broke one of those three little parts that holds it on there and had to super-glue it... and it didn't even work :p so I'd go with something to weigh it down.

4. jBreak

jBreak Member

Well, i fixed it and i have a tip for you, Nealio. If you take your old ps2 case and look at the cover for the cd area, you will see a white disc. If you swap it with the one in your fliptop, you won't need to stack stuff on it. (the one in the OEM case has a magnet). I also greased my laser rods and gear and bent (via heat) my laser arm and it seems to be working pretty weell now, fingers crossed.

5. Nealio

Nealio Regular member

Well I already do have the white disc attached in there, but it still makes noise for me. I'm not worried about it though cause I've had mine for like 4-5 months and haven't had any probs. What did you do to bend your laser rod? Isn't that kinda risky?

6. jBreak

jBreak Member

You're lucky to have the magnetic disc! Mine came with a disc, just no magnet.

To bend the laser arm (the little white piece of plastic between the laser and the laser gear)
    [​IMG]
    I just detatched it and put it over a lighter for about 5 seconds to get the plastic warm and bent it slightly. I wasn't too worried because i found them on ebay for about 5 bucks.

I also cleaned the laser gear with a small screwdriver and found a bunch of debris near the ends.

Addded some petrol jelly on the rods and i was set!