1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nomad Jukebox Zen Xtra 30gb

Discussion in 'Portable audio players' started by raibeart, Jan 7, 2009.

1. raibeart

raibeart Member

I want to get the "protected" files, the ones that came with the player off the machine and restore them after I clean everything off of it. Is there a way of copying the "protected" files?

Also, I have read that I should not update the firmware on it to the latest version because to quote what I read, "You end up with a paper weight." Does anyone have experience with this?

2. Mez

Mez Active member

What does 'protected' mean?

I am a firm believer in never upgrading. For some reason, most upgrades are about taking away your freedom not about helping you. There have been plenty of killer upgrades for various name brands that have killed the players. The companies wash their hands of any wrong doing.

I have a 4 yr old nano. I have never upgraded and have never had a problem other than it freezes sometimes after a sync. A 're-boot' fixes that which takes about 20 seconds. I have heard now you can't reboot without installing the latest version of software. If that is true, you at at the mercy of Apple and I could never buy one.

3. raibeart

raibeart Member

The mp3 files that came with the Zen Xtra have a lock in the interface with the computer. I have tried to copy them from the Zen to the computer, but it will not because they are "protected." Basically, all I can do is play them or delete them. I was wondering if anyone had found a way of copying them.

4. Mez

Mez Active member

I have never seen the lock with XP. I would try right clicking on the file and go to properties. I don't use Vista but there were no properties that you could not alter in earlier version.

5. raibeart

raibeart Member

I am using XP with Creative Media Source management tools and I see a padlock icon in front of the MO3 that came on the Zen. I have not updated the Zen to be able to do the drag and drop. There is something wrong with the charging system on it. And, the update will not apply if the battery is not charged at least a little bit. It does not seem to matter that it is on AC power. I figured this out after I had dropped $50 on 3 new batteries. :-(

6. coachop

coachop Member

You should be able to open the player thru My Computer & drag & drop to it. Yes the new firmware to upgrade it to MTP compliance could kill the player even if you do it right. Most people screw that up because they don't know what they are doing or read all that needs to be checked in preparation for such things. As for the battery issue go look here for the solution to jumpstart the charging