1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NON-chiped PS2 don't read original DVDs, but CDs normally...

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Pepan, Nov 7, 2003.

1. Pepan

Pepan Member

Hi there!

I have nonchiped PS2 model SCPH-30004. It reads original CDs perfectly. Problem is with original DVDs. When I insert orig. DVD into PS2, i hear sound of searching laser unit, but it searchs and searchs and searchs and nothing finds... It stays in menu... It also don't read DVD-R movies. I tried to calibrate it (without oscilloscope, haven't one), but with no success. I possible, that laser is so strangly damaged, that it reads original CDs perfectly, but original DVDs no ? Can't it be in DVD controller or cable?
    Before I got this PS2 from my acquaintance, it fell from table. After that it stops to read original DVDs...

Please help... ;)

Thanks...

Pepa

2. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member

probably either it's the lens maybe it moved a bit... see the lens got 2 heads that read dvd and cd the cd can be read... but no dvd in this case... OR something broke inside the ps2 probably from the fall... so you should send it for a checkup in a sony lab... or play cd's all this time and buy a new model the 39004 is getting very popular now ;)

3. Pepan

Pepan Member

Before your post, I also tried to clean lenses (BOTH! - really hard to do... ;) I was really careful... :)) and still no success. Also tried positioning of white gear... Same result... I didn't detect any lens's shift. What you exactly mean? If it will be moved, is it easy to notice it ? But since I cleared both lens, I probably gave the right position of it, right ? ;) If there is any chance, that no, please where I may to notice it and how to fix it? :)

Thnx...

Pepan

4. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member

you see... when the gears go the black head that moves the lens around moves up and down when it detects a cd the point of the laser goes low... and you might notice it if you open the ps2 and remove the roms cover and run a cd you will notice a red dot going up and down... when dvd is inserted the ps2 point the laser to higher size then you notice a higher and bigger light and dot... the lens itself goes up and down cuz it's made out of steel cover... and the electrodes shift it up and down... as i see it something went wrong REALLY! wrong.... and the ps2 dosent read dvd anymore now it's due of few things...

1) lens dosent detect dvd anymore
    2) maybe the cable is not in place try
    removing the band cable and reattaching it
    3) hardware failure the ps2 will not read the dvd cuz of some part is broken

1) now try to do this... open the ps2 revome the top cover then remove the top of the dvdrom.... also remove the white ring from the dvd cover... the one that locks the media in place... now put a dvd inside and put the white ring on it to hold the dvd in place... then power up ps2 and start it... did the ps2 spin the dvd or it didnt? if it's not spinning it's a lens problem...

2) if it does spin but dosent read and the lens going nuts... it's the cable try checking the cables that connect the board with the lens..

3) this sadly cant be fixed alone... go to a lab and ask them nicely to try and fix it.. if the bil is too big... buy a new one.. did i mention the 39004 is selling like hot cakes? ;)..