1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nonstop beeping after BIOS update

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Xplorer4, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Xplorer4

Xplorer4 Active member

This was my fist time updating the BIOS using the msi forum flasher tool rather then m-flash. The forum flasher from the Msi forums claims a 100% success rate. Flash went smooth..so after it turned back on for a reboot I flipped my psu off. I then used the clear cmos button on the I/o pannel and turned the system back on after a few min. Went directly to BIOS and checked the system clock. It was still on time so I shut the psu off again, hit clear cmos button, got my grounding strap on and popped the battery out. Waited a few min, put battery back in, and power up. Boots up and says the bios had been reset. Press f1 for set up and f2 to continue. Anyways my keyboard was not powered on for some reason but I hit f1 as I didn't realize it yet. Before I got to unplug it from the ps2 ports BIOS setup loaded.Set up the options, save and reboot. Normal boot up shows the pci card silicon image BIOS, and 2 HDDs and optical drive attached, then shows the RAID screen plus attached HDDs. Now normally it shows the MSI boot logo then shows b2 and one or two other letter number combos and then the windows loading screen. However since the BIOS update it gets past the raid screen for the Msi BIOS and just goes off beeping non stop. Any idea what's wrong?

Small Update: tried reseating the battery. On startup it said BIOS was reset, and said f1 for setup or f2 continue. So I hit f2 and got a windows boot error since raid was not turned on and I got no beeps. So I reboot go in to BIOS and set data mode to RAID and left everything else alone. Save and exit and once again I was met with continuous beeps at the same point."

The BIOS update included an update to the raid Tom, so I question if the update broke RAID. Is it safe to downgrade BIOS? The flasher tool claims to make a backup but yet the tool can no longer find it for some odd reason.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

the update is likely on the hd so try to boot from 1 drive not raid.

3. smoggie66

smoggie66 Regular member

try reflashing but this time download it put it on usb stick and update it from the bios

4. Xplorer4

Xplorer4 Active member

What do you mean on the hdd? It was a bios update using a tool recomended by the MSI forum staff that resides on a flash drive.

What is it with people bumping month old topics around here lately.
    1. The keyboard is fine.

The "MSI Forum Flasher" is the recommended way of updating BIOS for an MSI board. It has 100% flawless track record in regards to good flashes. It seems M-Flash, the built in update tools from the BIOS, does not have a stellar track record of performing good flashes. The tool I am referring to is booted completely from the USB stick using a pure freedos environment.

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

you didn't mention you were using a stick for the bios update. check msi site for your board as it should list all bios updates from original to latest.

6. Xplorer4

Xplorer4 Active member

Sorry guess I figured people would do a quick google to figure out what the "MSI Forum Flasher" was and at the time I was so frustrated as it was one problem after another.

As for the MSI site, MSI is horrible about posting bios updates on the downloads page of certain boards. They are several versions behind on this particular board. The only way to find out there is an update is to watch the forums or use the MSI Live Update tool and then try to obtain a download link from the forums that contains a zip file with the relevant BIOS files as the update utility only downloads a windows based EXE flashing tool. Further more MSI does a horrible job of including relevant information in the release notes, another reason the forums are very relevant as the forum staff try to provide a real list of release notes. One such update had a release note of "Adjust BIOS LOGO." nothing more, nothing less. Going to the forums reveals there was actually several other changes made but see for yourself:
    http://us.msi.com/product/mb/P67A-G45--B3-.html#/?div=BIOS
    1D is the latest BIOS listed, and 1H is the current version last time I checked.

My conclusion was that since the "RAID ROM" was updated it broke RAID. When disabling the RAID option in BIOS I could atleast get to a windows boot error screen but since Win7 x64 is installed on a RAID array it will not properly boot with out the RAID array.