1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

noob in search of his destiny

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by darshie, Jan 1, 2008.

1. darshie

darshie Guest

hi everyone

i got for christmas the psp star wars edition (the slim one with darth vader on teh battery lid and a game included) so i am totally new to this console.

I own a mac, a pc and the console that were sold in the last 14 years :) the only modded is the ps2, since i love to play with jap games.

now; while surfing online i found some demo games, and was surprised to see that i can download them and use them on my memory stick instead of having a bunch of umd with demos (i remember when i was used to manage a lot of cd demo from magazines and from sony itself, since they were sending them to me every couple of months, and was a mess...makes more sense the download :D); anyway, to make it short, i was wondering if there is a way to have games on the memory stick....and then i found this site.

i would like to have some advices from the experts here, since i went trough all the guides and sticky posts without being able to find some answers....and i hope that you can help me :D

1) my psp is slim, with the latest update available (had no idea that the homebrew scene requires to not update, otherwise i would not do it), what can i do to run homebrew software? downgrade to 1.5? or use the custom firmware like the one made by dark alex?

2) how hard is to screw everything up? i installed a mod inside my psp; i work as programmer and in general i work with computers since 20 years ago, so i wonder how complicate is the procedure to have a console that can read homebrew software and that can play the umd games (original games that i have) or iso images (my backups) for somebody that is totally new to the psp world....i read the guides and i saw that thre are various ways to mod the console, so i don't really know what to do to achieve my goal (and i have nobody with a fat psp, so i can't make the batery and memory stick with the pandora method)

3) to play a game from the memory card (not an iso), is required some special mod? i saw the demos and they run smoothly from the memory stick, and would be nice to do the same with my games, doing something like a dump of the umd on a pc, take out the stuff that is not needed (like dummy files) and then put it on the memory stick...i don't really know if is possible or not, since i have no idea about the architecture of the protection system of the psp...i ahve it since the last week :)

hope that you are not bored by my questions....i spent the last 2 days surfing on this site and other sites dedicated to the psp and homebrew/modding/hacking and was not able to find all the info that i need, to avoid any mess

I was able to unlock the iphone without any problem, but i am really scared to manage these stuff on a psp; so i prefer to be sure of what i am doing before doing it.

Thanks!!!!

2. bu22ard

bu22ard Regular member

basically you will need to get hold of a pandora / magic memory stick combo in order to first dg to 1.5 then you can install custom fw (like Dark_Alex fw m33).

you can make a dump of your umds using the latest cfw and then play them from your ms.

read the readme of the cfw for how to do this.

3. sn0wman1

sn0wman1 Regular member

You cannot downgade a slim to 1.5, it will fully brick.. You need pandora and battery to take you straight to 3.71m33 and a custom psp to make it..

Last edited: Jan 1, 2008
  4. darshie

darshie Guest

So i need a battery from the fat psp and then do the pandora ms to be able to use backups and homebrew? i would like to avoid anything taht could brick it; and seems that from your posts, bricking the slim psp is basically not an option if i downgrade.

i wish that i would know this forum before asking for a psp as present....they sell it on ebay already unlocked :(

5. GamerZ2

GamerZ2 Member

he has a slim psp so he cant go to 1.5,if he did he might not be alble to use it anymore.my advise is to buy datel tool battery which is a special tool battery which puts ur psp into service mode with help of a magic stick which u can create using total newbie easy installer which u can search in this forum.First buy the Datel tool Battery then i will guide u through.

6. darshie

darshie Guest

Ok, got it...nothing is possible until i get this datel battery...do they sell it in US like on amazon or stuff like that? i avoid ebay since i got some bad experiences :(

looking right now to see where i can find one of these battery; thanks a lot!

7. sn0wman1

sn0wman1 Regular member

I suggest you do what GamerZ2 says, easiest way.. Or you can hard mod a FAT battery by unsoldering the 5th pin, there are lots of tutorials on how to do this, then you can make your ms.

8. darshie

darshie Guest

Snowman1: i was trying to avoid to make my battery as a pandoera abttery, since everybody suggested to buy a new one instead of doing the pandora battery and then restore the battery to the original format; so i think that this Datel battery is the best solution for now (and a spare abttery is bnever a bad thing :D).

I do not have access to a fat battery, so the hard mod is not an option for me, and at this point i prefer to buy the datel battery instead of buying a fat and mod it...unless somebody has a spare battery that i can borrow to make a pandora battery LOL

BTW, forgot to ask a thing regarding the battery: when i play homebrew i use the datel, and when i play original games i use the original battery? the procedure is still not clear...i am used that on my modded ps2 i simply put the gam in, indipandently if is an original or a backup or if i start it from the hard disk; so i am not sure about how to manage the thing on the psp.

Thanks again for your reply...is helping a lot ^_^

9. sn0wman1

sn0wman1 Regular member

10. GamerZ2

GamerZ2 Member

u can use datel tool as normal battery with help of UPMS to install multiboot to MS to use battery as normal and pandora.I am using it now with no problems.

11. darshie

darshie Guest

so is possible to use it as secondary battery...otherwise spending 45 usd for it is a waste :(

12. sn0wman1

sn0wman1 Regular member

Sorry didnt realise you could use it as both, made mine out of the official fat battery, i think it has a switch on it to switch from normal to service mode..

13. GamerZ2

GamerZ2 Member

no it does not have a switch but it can be used as secondary battery by installing certain files into Memory stick to BOOT your psp to normal.not only datel battery can be used even normal pandora batteries which are softmoded or hardmoded can be used.use the link below to learn more

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/580254

14. darshie

darshie Guest

The thing that i do not understand is that on that link posted by gamerz2, one of the requisite to create the pandora stick is to use a psp already with a custom firmware....is taht a mistake? because if you need a psp with a firmware updated to a custom one i can not do any kind of mod on my psp, since it has the original 3.80 firmware

15. sn0wman1

sn0wman1 Regular member

Once you have the battery there is an easy intsaller that you can use that does not need custom firmware, you do it through your pc. I sent you it earlier in this thread.