1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Noob needs help...

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Plazz, Oct 18, 2004.

1. Plazz

Plazz Member

First of all, I got bunches of CD's that I want to put on my pc, I know mp3's take up less space, but what I was wondering what is the format on a store bought audio cd (all it says is cd audio track)? I'm guessing I should store them as mp3's then convert them to ????? for burning and playing in stand alone cd player (that cannot play mp3's)?

Also jetAudio looks interesting, is it a good do all? Basically interested in creating playlist AND burning misc type CD's.

Also what speed should I save? In other words what is CD quality speed. Right now I have alot of drive space so that isn't a consideration, looking for quality.

Thanks for any help that you can provide!

2. gruel

gruel Member

hi plazz
    format on a highstreet cd is .cda, i use easy CD-DA Extarctor to covert my cd's to mp3 and nero to convert mp3 back to .cda.
    i dont know about jetaudio ive never used it but Nero and easy CD-DA Extarctor are both exelent tools that you can convet files burn cd's ect at cd quality which i think is 480kbps

3. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think what you want to do is create mixed/compilation audio CDs from your store CDs for a CD player that only plays .cda/.wav but not mp3s. Also, that you want to keep mp3s on your PC. If so, just use Nero to drag and drop the .cda files from a bunch of assorted CDs onto a new CD. It makes no sense to convert to lossless mp3, then back to .cda. You'll be getting low-quality mp3 on your audio CD even if your convert back to cda. At most you're going to get on 1 CD is 18 songs anyway, so don't be lazy.
    As for the mp3s on your PC, I'd go no higher than 224 kps and no lower than 160 kps. Any higher, it defeats the purpose of having compression. Any lower, and the audio quality will suffer. I use Easy CD-DA Extractor to rip at 192 kps. I never thought I would use 20 GB at that rate, but I have over 40 GB of mp3s now. :) Easy CD-DA gives you lots of format options and lets you set exactly the bit-rate you want.

4. diabolos

diabolos Guest

I use a program called dbpower amp along with jet audio. Jet audio is a great (free) program for creating mixes with. I use db power amp to convert between different file types and rip tracks I want of cds. Then back to Jet Audio for burning the disc.

Lastly, audio (only) CDs aren’t formatted! They are analog. There is no digital compression scheme. CDs are similar to vynal records. There are little imprints of different degrees that tell the audio divide what to play and for how long. That’s why you have to convert this info to a digital format to exchange the audio information. The .cda tag is windows (only) way of telling you where the individual tracks begin and end. If you try to copy a .cda file you won’t get any data (not because it’s protected but because there is not data to copy).

dbpower amp home page: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/

jet audio 6 Basic page: http://www.jetaudio.com/products/jetaudio/