1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Noob Solder Question

Discussion in 'PS2' started by AJ56, Apr 11, 2007.

1. AJ56

AJ56 Member

Brand new here. Great forum. I just bought a PS2 Slim version SCPH 77001. I want to get a chip for it to play backups. Which would be best? Also, I would like to know what tools should I get to get the job done? Which solder iron would be best? Not for this job but other consoles too. (IE. 360, Wii). What about the wire? What gauge? Thanks for your help. I have done some soldering before with a cold heat solder and some big fat radio shack solder wire. Sucked big time but I got what I needed to get done. Now Im looking to step my game up. Thanks again.

2. maynard1

maynard1 Member

I started out with a cold heat solder system, it did me no good, I went to a 25watt soldering iron for a xeno game cube mod, it worked but the tip was big and my solder was also fat. Since then I have read that no more than 15watt is sufficient, with a small tip. I am about to mod 2 ps2's tomarrow I got two modbo 760's I hear mixed reviewes about the chip, everyone who is against it recommends dms4 or Matrix green dot. Hope this is a help.