1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Noob with a new dvd burner take cover! =)

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by stumped, Mar 26, 2004.

1. stumped

stumped Member

Hey guys,

Well the title says it all.. I need a little help. I have just purchased a plextor 8x dvd burner and installed in on a win xp machine. I'm trying to burn a back up of School of Rock to my dvd burner.
    I've gotten dvd decrypter and Instant Copy and attempted to backup my first dvd. It seems I rip the image fine using dvd decrypter but my problem is when I start up Instant copy my DVD burner is listed under the source side of the program and not the target??? It shows my HP cdr disk on that side. My dvd burner is located on the source?

I'm sure I'm not the first to have this problem but I've even tried to use DVD Shrink and it doesnt give me the option for my burner in the target window just the hard drive and ISO disk or whatever. I'm sure I'm just doing something wrong ..

If anyone could please help I'd be greatful.

Thanks for any help in advance...

stumpy

Last edited: Mar 26, 2004
  2. viper6699

viper6699 Guest

if you firstly used DVD Decrypter to rip the movie then to burn it all you have to do is double click on the iso file it has created and if the file size is less than 4.7gb it should burn it fine.

a better program to use though is DVD Shrink (free) as this will allow you to remove any extra's you dont want on your final disc (and will also compress down to the size of a single blank dvd

3. stumped

stumped Member

Thanks Viper6699 for responding

I did download dvd shrink and try it cos I thought maybe there was something wrong with instant copy. But it gave me the same problem.

When you go to burn the image created by dvd decrypter using dvd shrink... it has no option for me to burn to my plextor dvd burner. Just to the Hard drive or iso drive or whatever.

In otherwords, my burner isnt showing up on the drop down menu, although it is working properly - I used it to rip it with dvd decryptor of course. Any ideas?

4. viper6699

viper6699 Guest

you cant burn with shrink....it needs other burning software.....do you have Nero?

if you your file is less than 4.7gb have you tried using decrypter to burn it. all you need to do is double click on the image.

i aint the best at this but only other tip i can gice is if you open decrypter and click on tools there is an option there to search for scsi/atapti devices..........give that a go. also you can check under mode that it is set to "iso write"

5. stumped

stumped Member

so I decrypt it to the hard drive using dvd decryptor

Then use DVD shrink to edit all the other stuff out ( which I think its larger than 4.7gb). I know it says its double layered in dvd decryptor.

Then use nero to burn to disk? Or use dvd decryptor again?

6. viper6699

viper6699 Guest

now we getting somewhere.......i assume by that you have nero.

forget decrypter unless shrink wont read the disk.

use shrink to analyse the disc, chop out the bits you dont want then when you select back-up it will display your destination drive and also ask for a target folder for shrink to store the files it has created. unless you un tick the box in options.....shrink will use nero to burn the re-author disc

7. siber

siber Regular member

Stumped, you are definitely stumped. Do read carefully the advice given by Viper. I think he wants you to use DVDShrink to start with. Rip the disc to your HD with Shrink, then use Nero or - if you do not have Nero - use Decrypter which you must set in ISO WRITE mode, to burn to DVD. Shrink is necessary to start with as your DVD file(School of Rock) is over 4.7Gb in size and would not fit on one DVD without FIRST using Shrink.

8. stumped

stumped Member

Ok, Gonna give this a shot. I just stuck a dvd in the drive will get DVD Shrink to take a look at it and cut out all the extras. I'll post in a few to let you know the out come. Thanks for the help!

9. viper6699

viper6699 Guest

damn i'm crap at putting into words what is in thick muddles brain of mine........best plan of attack.

1)analyse with shrink.
    2)cut out parts you dont need to get best quality film then let shrink use nero to burn.
    3) if on the off chance shrink cant read the disc then use decrypter (set in file mode) to create an image of the disc on hd.
    4) repeat steps 1 and 2 with shrink only this time point it to the image decrypter created instead of the disc.

better explanations of all this can be found in the guides (tab at top of page)

wish i could put things accross better than this stumped but i aint much more than a newbie myself.

cheers
    viper

10. stumped

stumped Member

Well you did great.. I think we solved my problem. What was going on is that I was attempting to burn the dvd with instant copy which wasnt giving me my dvd burner as an option.. I think what I understand now is that you cannot burn with instant copy or shrink dvd. I was a bit confused as to what I needed to do.

I downloaded the trial version of nero and its copying now.. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Steps I did was :

1) used dvd decrypter placed image on HD

2) used dvd shrink to cut out all the stuff.

3) used dvd shrink ( along with nero trial version ) to burn the disk.

I think its working got about 50 mins to go to know forsure but i am farther along that i was thanks to you.

11. viper6699

viper6699 Guest

cool!!!!!! well done........:)

only thing i would say is forget about using decrypter if shrink will read the disc. it does no harm but just wastes time. but regardless of what i or anybody else says on here....the importany thing is to find a method you are happy with. and trust me, with all the extra bits you get with nero it is well worth the money.

well done......and like the rest of us......keep your eyes peeled for others you can help out.

viper

12. stumped

stumped Member

YAY thanks Viper that did it. Got it first try after your help!

Ok I will work on using just dvd shrink and nero to do it all. I assume first go with dvd shrink you save to the hd then once finished you open shrink again and burn to the disk with nero.

Thanks again!

13. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

hi stumped
    go to edit on shrink edit/preferences/file io/tick enable burning with nero,before you click backup and it does it all in one fell swoop.You can analyse,shrink and burn all at once.
    good luck and welcome to the hood
    jim

14. stumped

stumped Member

Hey Jiim,

Just wanted to thank you guys so much...I got it working and everything is running smooth. I do have one question.

Since I downloaded the Nero trial version.. I will need to purchase a full blown version of it or something else..

Which do you guys suggest? Nero 6 suite? Or something else?

Thanks again!

15. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

Hi stumped
    Glad to hear you got it all worked out,ya gotta love happy clubbers!!
    The answer to your question is very debatable,i use nero,and love it, and have no problem with it.Others in here may disagree,others wont.It all comes down to your preferences.The only thing i can suggest,is stay away from [bold]roxio[/bold],if you wanna keep burning with out problems.
    good luck and blaze on
    jim
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]you should never take life too seriously....you'll never get out of it alive!!
    if you can read this..you dont need glasses.
    read and sign this:http://www.petitiononline.com/fairuse/petition.html[/small]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2004
  16. viper6699

viper6699 Guest

nice one stumped!!!!!.....i knew we'd get ya there in the end......well done mate.

as for your last question......i'm with jim on this one.....i use and love nero......and seeing as you got a working recipe now......why change it!!!!!

welcome to the club.......have fun mate...:)
    viper