1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Noobie starting from scratch

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by serol, Oct 17, 2007.

1. serol

serol Member

Hello everyone, I'm a total noob when it comes to doing anything with the psp. Been seeing all these different kinds of firmware and what not and am at a total loss.

I was curious if anyone would be able to make it simple from where I should start. Here is what I got:
    The cable used to connect it to the computer
    A psp slim with a freshly downloaded 3.71 install from Sony update.

Tried installing all the different firmwares with little or no success. Always get an error installing such as (80020148). Could anyone provide me with any insight please. Any information is much appreciated.

2. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

you need to use the universal unbricker to get custom firmware. and in order to get the universal unbricker, you need to use a psp running custom firmware already. your psp is unable to create it because it's on official firmware.

3. serol

serol Member

K, thanks for the info man.

4. tehjoker

tehjoker Regular member

Just cause your a 'Noobie starting from scratch' doesn't mean you get excuse of not searching. Ok, a question, is your psp fw (firmware) 3.60 M33? If it is, you cant update to Sony firmware, if it isnt, go to PSP > Game > UPDATE(make the update folder) and put the eboot.pbp in there.

5. serol

serol Member

No sir it is not, it is 3.71. Updated it this morning.

6. tehjoker

tehjoker Regular member

Wait, where you trying to get custom firmware? If you were, my bad, i thought you wanted 3.71.

7. serol

serol Member

Oh no, I installed the sony certified firmware to 3.71. Then I saw all these different types of firmware and tried several of them and dont know where to start.