1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Norton Antivirus 2005 is stalking me....

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Auslander, Oct 30, 2004.

1. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

i started the download of the trial to see if i liked it any better than the 2003 i was running a little while back. however, i had to get offline. so i paused the download and signed off. for reasons out of my control, my computer lost power and when i restarted it the whole 1.49 MBs of the 24 total MB download had, well...somehow it tried to install itself. so now the program is listed in a half-assed way in the control panel add/remove programs list. i click on the icon in windows, and a DOS window flashes for a split second and nothing happens. i try to delete the file, and it says it's in use to i can't do a thing. i try to remove the program via the control panel and i get the same error. i went and got a full download of the antivirus and it will not install now. the "installation progress" bar fills up and the window disappears. i'm at a loss on how to get rid of this god damned thing, and i'm hoping someone might have an answer. all posts are appreciated.

2. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

I had screwy thing happen when I downloaded norton 2005, it deleted my 2003 version and installed the 2005 version , I decided I will get it later since I paid for service till 3/14/2005 and now I can't get back my 2003 version that I paid for, I e-mailed norton about this and did not get a responce back yet.

i hope you can get your 2003 version back, I couldn't :(

Try going into safe mode, your can probably delete it that way.

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

go into msconfig/startup & see if norton is there & is there, unclick the checkmark. go into regedit & find all reference to norton & delete. remove program from hd, scandisk, defrag & then reload the other version. me i wouldn't use norton, i use avg6 but each to their own

4. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

@ geestar: yeah, i have 2003 on disc and i can install and uninstall all i want. that much i am lucky for. but 2005 never goes away.

@ ddp: it wasn't under msconfig. i think i'm gonna try the safe mode first, and then i'll go through with everything else you suggested.

thanks, guys.

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

that is how i got office 2000 to work when it screwed up was to completely remove all reference of office than was able to reinstall office

6. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

well, my computer won't start in safe mode now. it just keeps restarting over and over saying there was an error. that worries me, but that's another issue (which i feel might be related to this one in some way). but anyhoo, i have regmech running right now it already says there's some crap with software locations and add/remove programs. i'm gonna let it work its magic, and i'll go from there.

7. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

update: i was able to start in safe mode, but i had the same error and couldn't delete the file. i got a full download of 2005 and it is installed and working fine, but i still have this damned icon/piece of a program on my desktop and it says it's still in use. it only lists the one, full download in the add/remove programs area. i'm kinda stuck again, although the situation has now improved. i'm hoping againg that someone may have had this situation before and can help me out. damn HP's version of windows xp...they screwed the home edition up. i think i'm just gonna upgrade to pro soon, and wipe the last remnants of HP from my now totally-rebuilt computer. then it will finally be all mine! :)

8. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

Well sorry for the trouble it's giving you :(

I'll also give an update. I got Norton 2005 working on my computer, full version and all.

Ill see what i can digg up to help.

9. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

well, everything is working fine on my computer now. i have no problems except that this file is still sitting on my desktop. unless i figure something out, i guess i'll just leave it there until the next time i reformat my computer. thanks for sticking around, geestar. i appreciate your patience and ideas.

10. CJC

CJC Regular member

If it says its still running, try hitting ALT+CTRL+DEL then go into the processes tab

Have a look down the list and see if you can find that file in there then click 'End Process'

Then try deleting it.

CJC

11. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

thing is, i can't find the process that is running it. there's nothing that says "nortonBLAHblah" or anything like that. i can identify most of the processes, but often when i shut down something that i'm not sure the purpose of, my compie restarts because it can't run like that. thanks anyway, though. i'm grateful for all input.

12. CJC

CJC Regular member

You dont have another Windows XP PC there, that you can take ur HDD out and put in the other PC, then delete the file that way, because it wont be running then...

Another way would of been to delete in DOS, but you are most likely running NTFS. I have a NTFS Dos disk, but havnt used it so im not sure if it even works.

CJC

13. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

only other desktop in the house is running ME. i'm not sure about the DOS thing, either. thanks for the ideas, CJC.

14. CJC

CJC Regular member

/me shivers at the sound of Windows ME......

I just tried that NTFS Dos disk i had, and it only reads NTFS in dos, you cant delete files..

How bout a neighbour or the like, that you could just put the HDD in as a Slave for 5 minutes to delete the file...

Just if you were in NSW, Australia.....

ummmm.....

/me thinks.....

Do you have a list of processes running that you could paste or PM?

Go into MSCONFIG (Start->Run-> msconfig) then go to the Startup Tab.. is it in there by any chance, if it is, take the tick out and restart

If you have MSN/Yahoo/ICQ/AIM PM me and might be able 2 work it out a little quicker...

CJC

15. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

i've got a few nearby friends running xp. i think i'll just hook it up as a slave and get rid of the file. that's probably the easiest solution right now. lol, too bad i live in the midwest US, eh? thanks for the probable plan of action, cjc.