1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NOT a new question

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by paragan, Oct 24, 2004.

1. paragan

paragan Guest

Ok, I feel like a complete tool for not being able to figure this out on my own. Can't actually find an answer to this really, It seems to be the same problem a lot of people are having though. But people seem to be able to get there answer solved, I try the solutions I don't get the results I want. I have spent a lot of money that I shouldn't have.

Movies skip, hesitate, 90% of a little hesitation during the movie, a few have major skips halfway, to the end of the flick.

Ok, first things first.
    I know my computer can handle the dvd +/- drive, Trust me it's got enough umphh to it:)

The main thing is. I tried going the cheap way out, I got a cheaper dvd -/+ burner, it's a KHypermedia KDVRWDUA 8x dvd +/- drive. I HAVE the latest firmware, I downloaded the latest firmware right after getting the burner.

At first I didn't realize the media made much of a difference but come to find out it does matter A LOT.

Well a month ago now, I purchased the burner, and some VERY cheap media $17 for 50 dvd-r's. Like I said I don't have much money to spend, and I wanted to try it out. Bad choice on the media, I used half the spindle and NOT one good disk. Bought some sony for $30 for 50 at best buy. They aren't bad. I have backed up quite a bit of stuff now. but still have some problems.

I tried different authoring software, different ripping software, different burning software. Tried all the appz I could get my grubby hands on, Still get hesitations in my play back.

Different Media as well, From ElcheapO to Sony To Verbatum + and -

I tried upgrading the firmware. I have the latest version of firmware. Tried the setting thing in device manager, (Which I still don't get.)

Tried different burning speeds, 2x, and 4x, None of the dvd's I have burned will burn under 2x. Weird huh? Well.

I even uninstalled SP2, still didn't work.

Tried everything I can think of, Every suggestion I have read I tried.

Ok heres the kicker. PS2

I burn my ps2 games at 2x they don't play AT ALL, I burn them at 4x with sony they play great, Now a game that takes up the whole disk like GTA:SA, Transformers, MK6 if I use the sony they hesitate at times, but if it's a game that doesn't use the whole disk like TMNT2, Burnout 3 they play flawless. Who knows. Now the Verbatum they ALL play great.

So now that you know my PS2 games play great how in the world could it be the dvd player? It has to be the burn somehow though. I have tried everything I can think of.

I have numerous threads, I have searched numerous threads on this forum, I have posted in a forum I belong to and have since Nov. 2002, and they mentioned some good things to try and did all that. Pretty much the stuff that was mentioned on here.

So anyone know of other ways of getting the hesitations to stop?

Oh also tried making the file size to just under 4 gigs, That's the best solution I have found so far, but it still doesn't help with the middle and through out the rest of the dvd does it? NOPE.

Ok, I rambled on enough. I am about to throw this computer out the window.

2. paragan

paragan Guest

Forgot to mention, the movies won't play in my ps2 either. if they do they hesitate, until the ps2 says unable to read disk, but games is great, movies is not.

3. Hallywood

Hallywood Regular member

What backup programs are you using?
    HW.

4. paragan

paragan Guest

Well, to rip i've tried dvd decryptor,dvdsrhink, 1 click dvd, Even tried Tmpege. Tmpege dvd author to author the dvd, DVD Lab. and numerous others, Nero to burn, Decryptor to burn and a couple of others I got rid of, can't remember there names.

5. rroettger

rroettger Regular member

First thing to do is buy some RW discs, thus no coasters! When you used DVD Srink did you use the deep analysis.

What burner do you have now.

As to the thing
    go to the device manager, select the IDE your burner is on, right click, select properties and select advanced settings. The transfer mode should be set to DMA.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    DELL Dimension 8300 XP Pro SP2
    Pentium 4 3.2GHz HT 1GB DDR SDRAM
    2x160GB RAID 0 SATA HDD
    16xDVD-ROM 8xDVD DL+R/+R/+RW
    19" LCD. Dolby 5.1[/small]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2004
  6. paragan

paragan Guest

I did do the device manager thing, I just don't understand what that has to do with anything.

I have the same burner, Just tried numerous different types of Media, I didn't try the RW yet. I should get a pack of them.

Now I did buy some -r sony disks, and I didn't realize they were 1-8x and I burnt sopranos s2 d2 at 8x and didn't notice any problems, But I will try it again tonight and see what happens. Who knows. it's going to be something stupid I bet, I just wanna get it going as best as possible.

Now has anyone had this problem, I bought seasons 1-6 of Buffy and in each ep it hesitates a little during the ep. Just happens once per ep. Nothing that bothers me since there retail. and I bought them at best buy. Just wondering if anyone has that problem at all.

7. rroettger

rroettger Regular member

I friend of mine was having trouble burning dash R discs. So he tried some plus R and his troubles were gone. Weird?