1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not a newbir but having many problems making backups.

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by dan1677, Mar 15, 2005.

1. dan1677

dan1677 Guest

Hi all,

Have used DVD decrypter for ages creating backups on my older PS2 for use with swapmagic 3.3. and they always worked (well 99% did anyway). Have recently bought a Slim ps2 with a ghost2 chip fitted and now none of the nackups work. I'm using dvd decrypter and Verbatim DVD-R media and burning at a low speed. I've tried writing with and without the .mds file and still no good. Ps2 plays normal games fine as well as imports and some backups that I bought from a website. Have also tried other media (imation DVD-R, DVD+R and even DVD+RW) still no use. Have I just wasted £200 on a chipped ps2 when my older ps2 worked fine with he swap magic system?

Thx, Dan

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2005
  2. JLDR

JLDR Member

Hi there.

It is known that different versions of PS2 have different versions of laser DVD drives. Probably the problem is related to your DVD recorder drive that you've in your PC; the recording metod. Anyway, try to backup you games at a lower speed (1x or 2x)... seems to me that the DVD media you use is the proper one...

Bye!

3. dan1677

dan1677 Guest

Thanks,

However, when writing using DVD decrypter no matter what speed I select it always writes at 4x!!
    Anyway to get around this?

4. steimy

steimy Active member

As long as it always worked before i wouldn't worry about the speed. Mine always burns at 3.8X no matter what i set DVD Decrypter at.
    Not sure why the PSTwo won't read the media though? that has me puzzled since it still reads the originals, and other back ups that you bought. I just bought a new PSTwo with a DMS4 Pro chip in it and so far all the backups that i have tried work the same in it as they did in my old V7 PS2.
    Plus i don't need to use Swap Magic with that chip which is great, just put in the back up and it loads right up.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2005
  5. dan1677

dan1677 Guest

Okay, some good news although I'm still really puzzled. I have managed to burn 4 games that all work (GT3, GT4 Prologue, GTA:SA & MGS2). I had to delete the MDS file that DVD Decrypter creates and just burn the .iso file onto Packard Bell DVD-R media. Which is weird because they are cheap as chips. While this may sound like good news I really want to find out why it won't read good media such as Verbatim DVD-R. Hell, it even reads Verbatim DVD+R's!!

6. gruzum

gruzum Member

It's the laser, my 39004 reads DVD+R much better than the -R, and speed IS an issue. burning tekken 5 at 4xspeed with no errors wouldn't let me start the tekken history mode. (insert ps2 disc) burning at lower speed solved the problem...

7. dan1677

dan1677 Guest

Okay buy how do I get decrypter to burn less than 4x?? I keep selecting 2x but the write speed goes upto 4x. Or should I use another program to re-write?

8. steimy

steimy Active member

In order for you to burn at a lower speed someone will have to tell you how to set the PC up right. There are settings to do it but i have never had a problem. Do a search and you may find your answer in another post. The burner will most likely burn at the speed it likes no matter what you set DVD Decrypter at.
    And when i speed is not a problem i mean that if all the other games you burned were at that speed, than that is the burners prefered speed which should continue to work fine.
    I have burned quite a few back ups and all mine burn at 3.8X and every one works fine.

9. dan1677

dan1677 Guest

Well it seems mine likes to burn at 4x no matter what I try to tell it and I've found a way that works which I guess is the important thing. I'd still like to know why i can only get it to work with crappy Packard Bell DVD-R's though and not Verbatim. Ah well!