1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not a single back up works.

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by Toranoko, Feb 8, 2005.

1. Toranoko

Toranoko Member

Hi, I've been surfing these forums for 2 days attempting to get my ps2 backups to work but none will. I have a matrix infinity (v1.39 firmware) installed in a v12 ps2, with the laser fix(if that matters at all to this). I have been attempting backups with all my ps2 games just to see if any specific game causes trouble (both old and new games). I have used Maxell and Memorex DVD-r. I've also used Sony DVD+r.

I have been following all the recommendations. I used DVD decryptor. Read iso then write iso at 1x. I have also tried Alcohol 120% with the same process except alcohol has a specific setting for Playstation2 which I used. Not a single process has produced a playable backup. I get the "please insert playstation or ps2 compatable media" message.

Any ideas, theories or actual help will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance to anyone that puts time into helping me.

2. danbooke

danbooke Regular member

I don't know about your MOD chip, cause I am using the Swap Magic disc method, but with the exception of one game, I have used Nero to burn everything just by using the "copy disc" function, and they work beautifully.

3. Toranoko

Toranoko Member

Well, thank you very much for the idea, but it didn't work. The modchip will boot originals and has the ability to be disabled (which is what the installer and the modchip maker both asked me to test and they both said it is working fine). I still can't get any backups to boot and now Nero can be added to the list of programs that didn't work.

Any more help, please?

4. hursty

hursty Active member

are you sure it is enabled?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2005
  5. hursty

hursty Active member

forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/144974

6. Toranoko

Toranoko Member

Thanks for showing me that forum, I'll keep up with them. I'm still fairly sure that I don't have the same problem as them. I can confirm that my matrix infinity is a Blue dot because i sent it in with my console. And Modchipman.com is the place that i used to get mine modded and they appear to be one of the more respected places out there. I was also able to upgrade my firmware from 1.38 to 1.39 just fine, and mine has been able to play original games the whole time. The people on that thread were not even able to boot the system. My problem is solely with backups.

I am also sure it was enabled because i've been having this trouble from the first time i booted the system. I also made sure that i shut the system down and started back up more than once.

I'm going to try a different dvd burner when i can talk to one of my friends. The people at infinity suggested that, but I don't think that it would make a difference because i can back up movies just fine with the same burner.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2005
  7. Toranoko

Toranoko Member

Well, i tried another dvd-rw drive to see if it was my computer and that one didn't work either. This is really baffling me.

8. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Try a DVD-R disc. I know that the PS2 is supposed to be able to read +R but it still seems to have issues at times.

9. RemyK313

RemyK313 Regular member

Maybe you have a bad chip? Have you considered this? Or what about flashing the BIOS?

I don't know much about modchips, but maybe you should contact the maker's tech support.

10. Toranoko

Toranoko Member

Icemonkey, i've been using dvd-r all along, i mentioned that in my earlier posts.

Remy, I've considered this, and i've been in e-mail contact with the chip maker for the past 2 days. They were the ones suggesting most of the things i tried. It is possible its a bad chip but i would assume that a bad chip wouldn't allow me to boot the ps2 or to play original games. For now i'm waiting for v1.40 firmware to see if that affects it at all.

As for flashing the Bios i never knew sony let you do that (or that we were capable of it, regardless of what sony thinks). Is it a hard process and is it safe to try?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2005
  11. halo13

halo13 Regular member

how old is your ps2? are your backups even getting past the playstaion 2 logo? I had alot of problems in the past with backups not being read at all and it was because my laser was being worn out and i had to replace it.

12. Toranoko

Toranoko Member

As i stated earlier my ps2 is a v12 (slimline). I bought like a week into january. Its definatly not an issue with the laser. The backups don't make it anywhere. Its as if you were to stick an xbox game into you're ps2 you'd get that message.

*added later* Sorry let me rephrase that. Its not an issue with the laser being old. It could be an issue with the laser because i had the fix installed so it wouldn't go bad.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2005