1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not a valid PS2 disc...help?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by zaverxi, Jun 5, 2007.

1. zaverxi

zaverxi Member

I recently bought Kingdom Hearts 2: Final Mix+, imported from Japan. I've removed the front of my tray on my PS2, switched the cds, but now I get the message not a valid PS2 disc. Yet on the official Swap Magic site, it lists KH2:FM+ as one of the compatible games. What needs to be done to let me play it?

2. steimy

steimy Active member

culd be a lot of reasons really
    1. you did not make a propper back up copy
    2. the file you used was not good
    3. you did not do the swap correctly
    4. you used low quality media that your PS2 has trouble reading
    5. your laser has trouble reading CD back ups

3. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

Like what steimy said. Also, if you're wondering if swapmagic3.com is mistaken about the compatibility for KH2:FM+, it's not. I have managed to get the original and burnt copy of KH2:FM+, both KH2:FM and KH:CoM(remake), working on my v15 slim PS2 with Swap Magic 3.8 coder, and I have also managed to get them to boot on my friend's old fat PS2 with a custom flip-top cover when I brought them over and booted with his Swap Magic 3.6 set.

As for a few suggestions, since you're using the original copy of KH2:FM+, make sure you properly lock the tray in place when you slide the tray gently back into the PS2.

Also, what PS2 are you using exactly? From your post, I'm guessing you have an old fat PS2 since you said, "I've removed the front of my tray on my PS2."

Anyway, what version of Swap Magic are you using? If you are by any chance using Swap Magic 2.0 for example, you may need to perform a TOC refresh or require the use of CD-loader/DVD-loader to boot KH2:FM+ before you can play it.

And you know what, weird question but how old is your PS2 and how well can it read PS2 DVD games in general? If its an ongoing problem where you've had trouble booting PS2 DVD games in general -- the PS2 games that have a silver, clear side for its data -- then you might want to consider a laser replacement.

Edit: Oh right. If this happens to be your first time with Swap Magic, it could be the Swap Magic disc you've bought, whether it's the DVD SM disc or the CD SM disc you're usin, is a bad burn, you may want to to contact the place you bought your SM disc set from for a replacement perhaps. Try experimenting with another PS2 to see if it's really the Swap Magic disc you have that are failing to boot your games.

By the way, I could help and hear you said switch cds... KH2:FM+ is a DVD PS2 game. Use the Swap Magic DVD version to boot that PS2 DVD game you have. You cannot use the Swap Magic CD version to boot a DVD game unless... but let's just leave it at that.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2007
  4. zaverxi

zaverxi Member

It was that last thing that worked. I was using the wrong disc. Yes, I have a fat PS2, 39001. I just needed to use the DVD one, not the CD one. It works fine now.

5. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

I hope you enjoy KH2:FM+ then and if you decide to back up your copy of KH2:FM+, I highly recommend using Taiyo Yuden DVD-Rs if you have an old fat PS2 or 8x Taiyo Yuden DVD+Rs if you have the very recent slim PS2s, the v15 or above. Just a suggestion, I mean, you never know how long you might be playing KH2:FM due to critical mode and the incredible number of new boss fights you can play against including the Cave of Rememberance where you can fight all the Org.13 members as many times as you want =D.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2007