1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not able to create good quality flash video files on video hosting sites

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by grao5, May 2, 2007.

1. grao5

grao5 Member

Hi,

I am not able to create high quality flash/streaming videos on websites like youtube & video.google like the crystal clear videos we see on CNN.com or at least close to it. Everytime I upload a video file to youtube or any other hosting site like video.google.com the clarity is gone even if its a DVD quality MPEG clip. This time I tried uploading a DVD quality MPEG file to youtube. Its a 23 second home video MPEG file which takes 27 MB of space. But even this file turned out be smudgy & pixelated as you can see by clicking the URL below.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4193028943524629483

I copied this 23 second clip from the DVD disc I had burnt the camcorder footage to originally and then uploaded this 23 second 27 MB DVD quality video to youtube.com & video.google.com. But it is still poor quality as you can see. When I play the DVD on the DVD player or when I play this video file from my local hardrive its perfectly fine but not when playing the uploaded version on youtube/google. I would appreciate if you could throw me pointers on how I could match the clarity & quality of flash /streaming video files that we see on CNN.com etc or at least close to them?

thanks

2. chipper07

chipper07 Member

I am a perfectionist, so what I would do is "tweak". I could suggest a few things, one would be using an Avi or other file type.
    How exactly are you loading the video from your camera?
    Is there a way to choose what your capturing the file as? (i.e. avi, mpg, mov, wmv, etc) (assuming you are capturing)
    Is it a D.V. or HD or Hi8, etc...?
    Given these answers I would try either loading it onto your computer in a different format (if your capturing) or convert the file once it's on your computer, if you have some New-Fangled DVD or HD.
    I would also try tweaking the KBPS rate up. (How-To: Convert it with a higher kbps rate)
    What kind of files does google and youtube let you upload? Try converting and seeing which one is best (this may be time consuming but you will learn for the next time)
    And my final suggestion (Sadly) A perfectionist must know when enough is enough! It could be that when you load it, Google / YouTube will lessen the quality and that CNN are getting preferential treatment. Those Swine!!

3. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Sites like that re-encode videos that are uploaded (presumably with ffmpeg or similar). Nothing you can do about the final quality other than using a different site or hosting the video yourself. CNNNN is probably using a higher bitrate and or VP62 instead of Sorenson Spark.