1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

not completely impressed with the picture quality

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by wigs, May 21, 2007.

1. wigs

wigs Member

Recently I started backing up my DVD collection (around 400) I burned the first few already using 1 Click DVD Copy Pro. After reviewing one of my backups I was not completely impressed with the picture quality. Ultimately what I really want to have is all of my movies backed up with menus at the very highest quality. With that in mind does anyone have any suggestions on what programs I should be running to accomplish this? Also will DL DVDs help me any?

Thanks in advance

2. dialysis1

dialysis1 Regular member

3. S2K

S2K Regular member

A lot of people realize after a while that they don't need menus.

It is the easiest world to drop the film at full resolution onto a dual layer. It is relatively cheap now a days.

if you really want save money just split the film into two parts and rip onto two dvdr disks.

I haven't compressed or recoded a film in years. now that I have larger hdtvs I am glad I never did.

4. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

if you use a DL blank DVD (DVD9) then you won't have to encode/transcode your DVDs to a smaller footprint so you can burn onto a DVD5(single sided blank DVD). You can get a 1:1 copy (meaning an exact duplicate of the DVD) if you use a DL disk. Just rip and burn! that's the top or best quality that you will get! or......... you can use DVDRebuilder Pro w/CCE for the best encoding of a DVD with the best quality you can get if you have to shrink the files to fit onto a DVD5! IMHO

5. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I highly recommend dvd-rb pro with your choice of encoder. HC encoder by Hanks is free and is included in the dvd-rb installer. it is a very good encoder but a much faster encoder is cce basic (cinema craft encoder) and produces as good if not better quality.

true only if you backup movie only (no extras) and there is only 1 soundtrack. if there is a DTS sound track on the dvd and you have a DTS decoder you won't be able to access it without a menu as it will default to the 5 or 6 channel AC3 audio stream.

6. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

but Mort.... you can access the next audio stream with the audio button on your player's remote or box! So you still don't need a menu with "just the movie!"

7. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

IHoe,

my bad, I'm just so used to using dvdremake to edit out what I don't want (previews, splash screens, warning screens, extras I don't want, and adverts) saving the extras I do want and a functional menu and then running it through rb/cce. hard to teach an old dog new tricks. I like a menu.

I rarely use dual layer dvd's and the only time I do use them is when I'm merging two episodic dvd's. for those I use dvdremake pro to merge the two discs and make them play continuously and then compress the folder (sometimes as big as 15gb) to fit on a DL dvd using rb/cce in DL mode.

8. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

I must try that, Mort, about the 2 disks and a DL with DVDRB w/CCE! what a great idea! I can't believe have always did an Episode DVD with RB w/CCE and never combined two Episode DVDs on one DL! Brilliant! Mort.... I'm still learning from you!!!! thank you, Mort!