1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

not enough space on your disc

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by KPM123, Apr 21, 2005.

1. KPM123

KPM123 Guest

can anyone tell me what i i'm doing wrong. when i try to flycopy a coppied disc or a original disc with nero i get the message there is not enough space on the disc please insert a empty disc. i know the disc is already blank. i use 4.7GB discs and the disc i i'm trying to copy has less then 4.7GB on it so it should fit on okay. or do i have to use shrink first all the time

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

To copy an already ripped backup copy:

All blank dvd's state they will hold 4.7 gigs of data. Actually,they will only hold about 4.4 or so at max. Poor quality media may only hold 4.3 gigs. By the time all the conversions are used,you lose approx .3 of a gig.Just like a hard drive, Mine is 80 gig,but by the time all the conversions are used,It's only 76 gigs or so.

I only copy on the fly with my backup copies,not original copies.Most original dvd's are dvd-9's so they will have to be edited and compressed.

Here's how I do it,and 100% success rate with nero and dvd shrink:

On your first copy using shrink and nero:
    1) High quality media- the cheap crappy media may not be able to cut it-too many errors.
    2)4x burn speed max,slower-even better,fewer errors.
    3)Cut out everything you can to reduce compression-main movie only.
    4) Keep backup target at 4300 to 4360 mbs-max. Set it like this:
    Open up shrink/edit/preferences/click dvd-5/scroll till custom/enter 4360 next to it/OK.

Now you got that first copy and it is well below 4.36 gigs:
    Place it in your dvd-rom drive
    Place blank in burner
    Open up nero's copy disc
    Make sure the rom and burner are selected in the right order.
    Set your speed/# of copies
    Let her burn at 4x max!

By reducing your backup target in dvd shrink, it will prevent a lot of problems.Especially on poor quality media. Stick with the good stuff,most anything made in japan.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2005
  3. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

KPM123
    If this is your first time using Nero you may need to update the software. I had an OEM verison on one computer and received the same error - once I updated the software no problem. 2nd computer bought the full package from Best Buy same error - again updated software - no more problems. According to Nero the was a 'common bug' in the oem and full versions- 6.0 (store bought or came with the drives)that subsequent updates fixed. If that's not the case saugmon's post should solve your problem.

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

I have the nero oem 6.0.0.21b and it works very well. I also have nero 6.3 oem on my spare pc and it works flawless. My main pc had a problem with not being able to erase my +rw's. After the downloading the cleantool and reloading my original disc in-all went back to norm.

If thinking about upgrading your nero, use the nero cleantool to completely remove nero. You can download it here:
    http://ww2.nero.com/us/Nero_6_Clean_Tool.html

When you re-load your nero,do not download the incd packet. This will screw you up.

5. KPM123

KPM123 Guest

just tried it and it worked fine
    it helps when you know why it is happenning
    thx for explaining it to me

6. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Glad to see you are re-ripping those backups. What exactly did you do to fix this issue,I was just curious and maybe some other members may benefit from this.

Later!

7. KPM123

KPM123 Guest

now i just back up my first copy using shrink then i use nero for
    any other copy's i need
    i just thought i was doing somthing wrong at first or the settings
    on my nero was wrong now thx to you i know why it was saying not enough space on the disc. thx again