1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not enough space to convert 778MB avi to 4.7 DVD

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by easybut, Jan 8, 2007.

1. easybut

easybut Member

I am using roxio 9 to encode and authormy movie duration 3h.14m hours long which as a 775MB divx file and in spite of my many attempts it just won't fit to disc on my 4.7 DVD-R. I use roxio as it converts immediately. What can I do to overcome this problem. I even joined 2 divx clips which became 1.62GB yesterday and they burned to disc directly with no problem. Where might I be going wrong with this. Could it be that roxio doesn't like the movie or something? Any suggestions?

2. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

Roxio isn't a recommended program but some have luck with it...once you've encoded your DivX file to a DVD compliant file, run it through DVD Shrink and then burn to disc.

3. janrocks

janrocks Guest

4.7 dvd..shouldn't that read 4.3! That's all they hold so if you make 4.7Gb of files of course they aren't going to fit.

775Mb converted with dvd-author comes out at 2.9Gb of vob's, which is plenty small enough, check your roxio settings (ps..it's another nasty app, like nero 7)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2007
  4. LOCOENG

What jan is saying about your advertised capacity of the discs you have there is this...

You also get an extra 6MB with -R media...isn't that nice of them?

DVD-R/DVD-RW = 4 706 074 624 bytes ( 4488 MB )
    DVD+R/DVD+RW = 4 700 372 992 bytes ( 4482 MB )

EDIT: I happen to like Nero 7 Jan...LOL

Last edited: Jan 8, 2007
  5. club42

club42 Regular member

Nero has come a long ways and Roxio sucks. Especially at encoding. As LOCOENG and janrocks said set the target size lower. If roxio cant do that then lower the bit rate. Actualy just don't use roxio.

6. LOCOENG

I agree completely....LOL

7. easybut

easybut Member

This is the first time Roxio has refused to encode divx/avi files of this size. Is it suggested that I go back to the old method using one program for encoding and another for authoring? I hope not I'd rather do it all in one go. I am a newbie to all this so I don't understand the settings side of it. Do I have to change size settings or anything if I use DVD shrink for the current roxio DVD file on HD which once encoded etc sized out at 5.12GB.

8. dvdabyss

dvdabyss Regular member

have you tried to shrink it twice? that helped me on the Speed Racer dvd ;)