1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not Recognising -R DVD's

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by MrDaliard, Mar 6, 2007.

1. MrDaliard

MrDaliard Member

I have burnt many + and -R dvd's but my dvd hardware now refuses to recognise -R discs and will only burn +R's. This happens with every piece of software i use for burning - Nero 7, Clone DVD2 and Super DVD Creator 9.25. I am at a loss to explain this. Could anyone suggest a cure as I now have about 100 blank DVD -R's that I cannot use and I have a standalone player that will only play -R discs.
    Help

2. JVC

JVC Active member

Have you tried booktyping a +R disc, to be a DVD Rom? It may play on your player, after being booktyped. Store bought movies are booktyped to DVD Rom. That's why they play in almost everything. Here is info on booktyping: http://www.k-probe.com/bitsetting-booktype-faq.php

You can also try this:
    Go into your Device Manager, and find your drive. Right click on it, and choose "Uninstall". After it uninstalls, reboot, and let Windows detect new hardware, and install new a driver for you.
    Good luck!

3. MrDaliard

MrDaliard Member

Thanks.
    Followed the booktyping guide and my problem is solved. Can burn both +R and -R.
    Once again. Thankyou for help. Was tearing my hair out.
    Cheers

4. JVC

JVC Active member

Glad it helped. I'm a firm believer in Booktyping.
    My stepfather had a dvd player that wouldn't play a +R or a -R disc. I tried both, several times. When I learned booktyping, I booktyped a +R disc to DVD Rom, and it played flawlessly! From that day on, I use only +R discs, booktyped to DVD Rom.
    Enjoy! :eek:)