1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

nothing burned

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by guyute, Jun 2, 2004.

1. guyute

guyute Member

attempting to create a vcd using mpeg files. burn process completes to 100%. message appears saying burn process has completely successfully. however, nothing was actually burned. cd remains blank. am using Verbatim CD-R. 80 min/700 mb.
    any ideas? much appreciated.
    thanks.

2. guyute

guyute Member

by the way, am using Nero 5.

3. ellizit

ellizit Guest

Did you have "Simulate Burn" checked in the box that comes up right before you start burning?

4. guyute

guyute Member

i only had the "write" and "finalize CD" boxes checked. the other two, "simulation" and "determine maximum speed" remained unchecked.

5. ellizit

ellizit Guest

Is it just when attempting to burn VCD's that this problem comes up, or any type of disc in general? Also, after the disc is done, is it still considered a "blank disc" by Nero if you try to insert it again? I personally do not have any Nero 5 experience, the first and only version of Nero I have ever used is Nero 6 Ultra. Anyone know anything about Nero 5 that would maybe help?

6. guyute

guyute Member

yeah it's only when attempting to burn a vcd on nero 5. i can burn audio or data cds on another program with no problem. this is my first time using nero as well. and yes, the cd remains blank. during the burn process, the burn drive seems to do nothing. i don't hear the whizzing sounds i normally do when burning audio or data cds or whatever.

7. guyute

guyute Member

yeah it's only when attempting to burn a vcd on nero 5. i can burn audio or data cds on another program with no problem. this is my first time using nero as well. and yes, the cd remains blank. during the burn process, the burn drive seems to do nothing. i don't hear the whizzing sounds i normally do when burning audio or data cds or whatever.

8. guyute

guyute Member

apparently my problem lies with the fact that i cannot select my cd-rw drive. i just realized that. the only option i have is to select the "image recorder." if this is indeed the cause of my problem, is there anything i can do to fix it?

9. ellizit

ellizit Guest

Let me ask, is you burner external? I know my friend's external DVD burner does not get recognized by Nero unless he powers it up before he starts Nero and lets Windows find it. After that, he starts Nero and everything works fine, but if he starts Nero then tries it, it doesn't recognize it.

10. guyute

guyute Member

my cd-rw drive is internal.

11. dedra

dedra Member

im having the same exact problem!!!!! hopefully they can help us on here

12. ellizit

ellizit Guest

dedra & guyute -

What brand burners are they? Have you upgraded to the latest firmware? With a little more info we might be able to find out what's going wrong.

13. dedra

dedra Member

i have a sony cd-rw crx-230e......whats firmware????? i am really ignorant of all that it requires to do this

14. shiroh

shiroh Guest

i did have the same problem, but all that gone when i switched to a different brand of cd.

15. ellizit

ellizit Guest

dedra -

Firmware is the software that is driving the actual hardware it belongs to (such as a CD-RW drive). Often times, the company that makes it will come out with a newer version that fixes a few bugs that were found. Check the site of the make of the drive (such as www.sony.com) and see if there are any updates for your perticular drive.

First however, I would try what shiroh said fixed his problem...try another type of media. Good luck!

16. dedra

dedra Member

thanks, i will try that.....

17. guyute

guyute Member

what brand of cd DOES work? that way i can be sure to not buy another only to find the problem persists.
    thanks dudes.

18. shiroh

shiroh Guest

i suppose if the brand of the burner and the cd is the same, it should work. try buying a piece at the time, different brands and see if it works. my lite-on combo drive doesn't like panasonic. imation works great, sony and verbatim and lite on too, of course.