1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nothing on my DVDs.

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by Ill8s, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Ill8s

Ill8s Member

Hey all, This might seem like a dumb question. I have been using dvdfab and dvd shrink to burn my movies. Everything was working fine until recenlty. Now every time I burn a dvd, it goes through the whole process, finishes like it normally would, and doesn't burn any info to the dvd-r. Do any of you know why this might happen. I am sure you'll probably need more info from me but if anyone could point me in the right direction it would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

The problem is most likely in the burning software if you have supported software. What do you burn with?

3. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Just to add to PacMan's post - does the drive show the dvd as blank or a dvd player?

Could also be a media and or firmware problem.

What media are you using like Sony +R 16x and the make and model of the drive? Burn speed used?

4. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Binkie
    I was fishing to see if we're lucky enough to have Nero for a log.

5. Ill8s

Ill8s Member

Ok,

I was burning with dvdshrink. I also tried burning with nero.
    Ive been using Fujifilm DVD-R 4.7 gb dvd's. I usually burn at 1 or 2x. I checked the drive type and it is a LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1633S.

The drive reads the disk as a blank disk if I am not mistaken. I also don't notice any changes to the underside of the disc when checked visually. Any of this info help?

6. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

DVD Shrink doesn't burn to DVD. It uses supported burners such as Nero or DVD Decrypter. Since you have Nero, burn the Shrink output to the HDD, do a burn with Nero Express, save the log at the end and post it here.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2007
  7. binkie7

Kinda what I thought Pacman :)

@Ill8s
    You can find the Nero log here - they are in a text file - just post the last one.
    program files>ahead>nero>nerohistory

Be sure to edit the serial # out - begin 1A, 1C or 5C.

1x - 2x to burn may be a little to slow to burn too unless these are 4x or under rated discs.

8. Ill8s

Ill8s Member

OK I'm decrypting a dvd now..I'll post the log in a little bit. I was wondering if I was burning a little too slow. I am going to try burning 4x this time around to see if that solves the issue. I'll still post the log. I started using the lower burn speeds because I was getting quite a few skips in my burns. I figured using a lower burn speed might help. Is there something else I should do to cut down on the skipping, or should I just buy better media? Thanks in advance for the help.

9. binkie7

Better media and up to date firmware goes a long way.
    Some Fuji's are good - when you post the log hopefully the manufacturer will be listed there and we can tell.

I'd also check the dvd's that skip in the pc and see if they skip there too - may also be the dvd player - lens could be dusty or they can be picky on what media they like.

10. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Compression errors are also a cause for skipping, along with smudges on the disc surface. Are you using the quality settings in Shrink? Always make sure disc surfaces are clean and polished. Binkie covered media and firmware. Those are the usual causes of skipping. For quick identification of media you can use DVD Identifier, it's free, just google.

11. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Have you accidently change the setting in the burn window of NeroBurning Rom to simulate rather than write. That way nero goes thru the process but doesn't burn any info. That could be why the disc is blank?? Just a thought.

12. Ill8s

Ill8s Member

Ok well everything worked this time. I guess shrinking to an ISO and burning the image that way was the best way. I'ts working, with no skips. Thanks everyone.

13. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

ISO is just a packaging format for burning. If you look at the content of a DVD and a Video_TS folder, the content is the same. In fact you'll find the Video_TS folder on the DVD. If you open an ISO video folder, guess what, you find a Video_TS folder. I've never seen a difference in output between using the ISO or file format to burn. I'm competent at using the software for both and have gone through a lot of burns using both formats. I think I would have noticed a difference by now, if there was one.

14. Rastababe

Rastababe Member

Hi Everyone!
    I'm new and was wondering if someone could so nice and help me.
    I'm having a problem with after I go through the whole process and it says it's done I put the newly burned disc in my player and I get a message that it can't read it. I tried my neighbor's player and it does the same thing but it will play on her computer. Help me please. Thanks in advance!

15. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

What format is the recordable media and what formats are supported by the standalone player? Then you get into such things as recording errors where the disc doesn't get finalized. For media compatibility those with burners that support booktyping (bitsetting), they booktype the DVD +R formats to DVD ROM (the universal player format).

16. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member