1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nothing Shows up on my monitor. Please Help!!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by ken_919, Feb 11, 2005.

1. ken_919

ken_919 Regular member

I was on my computer and then it froze. I restarted it, and when it restarted, nothing came up on the screen. I plugged it back in but nothing, stayed black. The monitor is still good because I can feel static and the green light is on. I re-inserted the card (not sure the name, where you plug the monitor into-blue plug-in) and turned computer back on. The computer was running but monitor stayed black. I tried another monitor and that one stayed black too. Does anyone know what's wrong?

Sorry about posting this twice, the first post wouldn't come up.

2. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Does the computer beep when you turn it back on?

3. ken_919

ken_919 Regular member

There's no beep when I restart the computer. Should I unplug the monitor from the back when restarting it. I had it plugged in when I restarted it. The cd-drawers still open and everything else runs fine.

4. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Your PC is failing to POST. The best way to troubleshoot the issue is to remove all hardware from the PC so that only the motherboard w/CPU, memory, and video adapter/monitor are connected and seeing if that works fine. If so, reconnect each piece one at at time and try powering on the PC again each time. When it doesn't work that is the hardware that is malfunctioning.

5. ken_919

ken_919 Regular member

I did all of this and everything ran except monitor. As I was plugging things in, I noticed the little fan on the bottom of the video card wasn't working. Does this mean that the video card is bad or just the fan?

6. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Did the PC beep when you turned it on with just the motherboard w/CPU, memory, and video card connected? If not, one of those components are faulty.

7. ken_919

ken_919 Regular member

The computer never beeped when I turn it on ever since I got it. I have a I Buy Power tower (www.ibuypower.com) with a HP monitor. The video card is an Appollo Nvidia GeForce FX5200. I'm pretty sure I have to buy a new video card. The fan on it doesn't work.

8. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

see if computer beeps when videocard is removed

9. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

I am having the exact same trouble,black screen-no bios screen-no windows. I am back on my backup tower using my main dell flat screen. I just want to keep an eye on this thread to give me some ideas when I work on it tomorrow.I didn't want to waste the space for the exact same problem on another thread.

When removing 1 of my sticks of ram and vice-versa i got the beeps.Leaving both sticks in,it came back as that black screen.The screen is working on this spare pc,so that knocks out 1 cause.

Hey ddp, still working on those bugs from last month's ice storm,lol I thought i her fixed.

Good luck ken, you are in pretty good hands with these gurus.

10. ken_919

ken_919 Regular member

There is no beep when I turn on computer with the video card out. I tried what Saugmon did bought nothing, still same. I am positive that I have to get a new one. Does every computer beep when you turn it on, or just certain ones. What is the purpose of the beeps?

11. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

I decided to start a little early. I unhooked both hardrives,floppy drive,card reader,dvd-rom drive,and dvdrom/rw drive. No picture on my old monitor,and all the fans and blowers are running including heatsink fan.No beeps. Starting to get a little over my head.

I always have beeps when I turned it on. It was running great until last month when an ice storm came through and surgeprotector didn't work.Lost 1 gig of ram and replaced the ethernet card.Lately I was having trouble with the black screen of death. Here's my specs: asrock k7s41gx mb/64 mbs shared ram:this may have to do with my video card. I am unsure about that,can't find anything about it in the manual.

12. psychi

psychi Member

I used to have the same issues when my ram wasn't properly connected. (The levers on both ends were locked, but ram was still improperly connected.)

If possible, try booting with different ram.

13. ddp

saugmon, 64 meg shared is for video, check in bios if have seperate video card to disable onboard video.
    ken_919, all motherboards do beeps in diagnostic mode. remove all cables from drives, remove all cards & ram, reseat power connector(s) to motherboard. does cpu fan spin when powered up. repower system to see if beeps & if does write down the # of beeps than put 1 stick of ram in at a time to see if beeps differently. if possible to try another video card whether pci or agp as some beeps will reference missing video card

14. ken_919

ken_919 Regular member

I did all that and the cpu fan was running. Still there wasn't any beeps. I tried a another video card that was working in place of mine. I plugged it in and the monitor stayed black and there were no beeps. Could the problem be the slot the video card goes into on the motherboard?

15. ken_919

ken_919 Regular member

I forgot to add this to the other post. I took my video card (Apollo Nvidia GeForce FX5200) and plugged it into my other desktop and was working. The problem must be the slot on my computer where you plug the card into. Would I have to buy a new motherboard if the problem is with that slot?

16. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

ken_919

The beeps are diagnostic tools that the MB sends out letting the user know the status of the board at boot, if something is not plugged in like a keyboard, or video error, etc. Each board is set up differently and not all beeps are used for the same purpose. The manufacturer would be able to tell you what their bio has loaded as a beep diagnostic tool.

Based on what I interpret you are saying about current conditions and tests of your hardware, it does sound like it’s time for a new MB.

17. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey ddp, I took that tower in town to get it worked on. They guy there left a message and said one of my ram slots was bad and it is working now.They were both ok when I replaced that empty slot with 512 mbs stick a week earlier. I will be picking it up later.

I have my eye on a replacement mb at newegg for $46.00 including shipping,same asrock mb . Later

18. ddp

maybe tempermental. if new board is same as old board, don't throw out old board as can use it for possible parts or test board

19. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey ddp, She seems to be ok right now.Just got through burning 2 dvd's on the fly.The guy who worked on it kept messing with the ram slots until he finally got it to post.Ran my registry scan and all seems ok,for now,lol
    I will order that extra MB..
    Thanks, and have a good day.

20. ddp

no problem, teach & learn