1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nothing will play my burned DVD's !

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Wiskerluv, Mar 8, 2007.

1. Wiskerluv

Wiskerluv Member

I am talking about software to be able to play my burned movies on my laptop.

I have tried everything: K-lite Mega Codecs, Intervideo, Windows Media player, Super, AC3 Filter, etc. Retail DVD's will play just fine, but not the ones I have burned. However, they play great on my other PC and on our standalone player.

Laptop is an older IBM Thinkpad, with a Matushita DVD drive. It just plays CD's and DVD's but has no burner.

There has to be some kind of software out there. When checking GSpot, it showed a problem with missing files from Intervideo which I supposedly corrected. Other than that, I am at a loss.

2. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

your problem is probably the media you are using and the burn speed ??

try using better blank media like Taiyo Yuden and or Verbatim and burn NO faster than 8x max. on a clean machine without other programs running while your burning. also make sure you have the latest firmware update for your drive/burner

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_all.php

3. Smee342

Smee342 Member

well personally ive had no problems with using cheap brand disc

i can how ever vouche for using vlc player

so i would suggest trying it out worst case senerio is that it doesnt help u out at all.

weird part is that u say the media is being played on other machines and and players

may i ask wat kind of media u are using

SmeeZus

4. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Those Matushita DVD drive's are real picky when it comes to reading any type of blank media. Again what brand and type are you using? Your best bet is going to be to "booktype" your DVD's for maximum compatability. If you have no idea what "booktype" is then just do a search on AD and you will find a wealth of information. There is also an explination in the thread in my signature named "Newbies"

Last edited: Mar 9, 2007
  5. Wiskerluv

Wiskerluv Member

Hi guys:

Thanks for your response. I am using Imation media from WalMart lol. I have no problem with them at all on my other players. Maybe you are right about the Matushita drive. I will check into the booktyping process for sure.

6. Wiskerluv

Wiskerluv Member

Me again...forgot to mention in my last post that I have tried VLC player and that doesn't work either. I burn my DVDs at 4x I believe and that shouldn't be a problem, since they play beautifully on the other players and my desktop.

7. rbrock

rbrock Regular member

Just buy some Verbatim dvdr disc it's just that easy . Imatation disc is the worst disc known to man, TDK sucks Max sucks Fugi sucks Sony sucks.... If the disc are not made in Japan (look on the lable) they will not work for movies !!!!!! They will not play,they freeze,skip and Lego! VERBATIM!!!you will love them.

8. pstamer

pstamer Guest

I dunno. You forgot to mention Memosux.lol

9. Wiskerluv

Wiskerluv Member

Can I just buy Verbatim online or are they in stores?

I just found out something interesting...I just used DVD Encrypter and it showed that my DVD drive can't read DVD+RW. That's what I have been using to burn my movies all this time, so I will try -RW next.

Thanks for all the help.

10. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

Wiskerluv, with that Imation media it may code out different from one time to the next thats probably why it worked one time and not the next.plus its some of the worst media one can buy

as said find some Verbatim (yes you can find these at best Buy Sam's club etc.) or buy Taiyo Yuden online at supermediastore.com (this id where i get all my media).

also DON'T use the RW for everyday get DVD-R or DVD+R. if you get the DVD+R booktype them to DVD-ROM. i use the Taiyo Yuden DVD dash R with NO playback problems on anything i throw them at

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2007
  11. Smee342

Smee342 Member

ive been using nothing but staples brand dvd-rs and hp dvd-r i have had no problems watso ever

Smeezus

Last edited: Mar 9, 2007
  12. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

Smee342, hope you can say that in a few months but i wouldn't bet on it

13. rbrock

rbrock Regular member

Yes Verbatim disc are online in stores they are 13.99 or 14.99 for a stack of 50 they work the best for movies! I used to buy what was on sale and had to reburn all my movies because all the problems from cheap disc that sucked,skip,froze,legoed. No I don't work for Verbatim. It's just that simple. go ahead if you want , make coasters! Not Me !

14. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

It sounds like a compatability issue-that matsushita doesn't recognize the backup discs,so it won't play them.

You're using +RW's and they can be trickier than the regular +/- R's. Same holds true for -RW's.

Bestbuy has Verbatim 50 pks on sale starting tomorrow for around $13

Whiskerluv: What's the brand name,model#,and firmware version of that dvd-rw drive?

If it's got booktyping capability,plus format would be the way to go so you'll have the highest compatable backups. Then no messin around with the dash format.

If no booktyping capability,then dash format should give you a higher compatability rate vs non booktyped + format.

Playing programs: Windvd is sweeeeet!!!!

Smee342:

Staples media: Moser Bauer- MBI, Cmags,out of the wazoo!!!! You can get quality media like those Bestbuy Verbs cheaper than those Staple's discs.

Same with HP cmags,except no MBI's!!!!

Not very good brand names to people who's already having burning,compatability, and playback issues.

15. Wiskerluv

Wiskerluv Member

How can I check if this drive has booktyping? This drive does not have a burner, only reads discs.

The DVD drive is a Matshita - SR 8175 #G228.

I went to their website and updated the patch for the G228.

If only I had the movie files on this laptop then I could do something. I put the disc in and try to copy it to the HDD but keep getting a message that there is no disc in the drive. Also I uninstalled the drive, restarted the puter and reinstalled.

When I use DVD decrypter, the green arrow to "GO" is grayed out. Also when I click on tools/drives/ that option isn't even there to make it a DVD-ROM. There should also be some info in the right window but its always blank.

16. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

I'm talking about the brand name and model# of the dvd-rw drive that burned those backups that you are trying to play on your laptop.

17. Wiskerluv

Wiskerluv Member

Oh sorry...I have a rather new Dell and the make and model is:

TSSTcorp DVD-ROM TS-H352C

I hope that's the correct information. I am going to d/l an image capture program so I can show you what is said about the laptop drive.
    or, I will install Nero .

18. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

It's a toshiba/samsung drive,so probably no chance for booktyping on TSST drives.

I'd try to pick up some quality Dash R media for that drive.

19. Wiskerluv

Wiskerluv Member

Thanks Saugmon - will do.

I think I am going to just give up on this....have been at it for days doing research and nothing seems to work for me. I thought it would play with VLC but it won't.

Thanks all for your help. appreciate it.

20. Coke_Kid

Coke_Kid Guest

i cant either o well