1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

nothing work - need helps

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by xanders, Feb 3, 2007.

1. xanders

xanders Guest

Hi, I have Win. XP, Window Media player 11, Win-Amp the latest version. None of my AVI movies work in any of playter - WMP, BS Plater VLC etc. I had installed and reinstalled codecs - such as ACE mega codecs, Tsunami, K-lite. My problem was that I had to reformat my hard drive due to some problems. I have reformatted my harddrive many time before this time, the avi movies from my external hard work but not this time. This external hard drive is new. I read some replies and searched for solutions nothing help. I am a newbie. Please advise. Thank you.

2. onya

onya Guest

Hi xanders, it seems like you've been through the grinder a few times? You say you have an external hard drive, and it's brand new. It also contains your .AVI files, these will be intact, if you havn't altered them. So this really leaves your system.... do you agree? Now, delete all codecs you recently applied. Then delete the player, and all it's associated files. Please use a registry key cleaner, to ensure a clean re-start. A cleaner that comes to mind is Crap Cleaner, it's freeware available at this address.
    Crap cleaner will delete reg keys harmlessly.(but make a backup anyway)

Restart your system, and then Re-install the player, and then re-install the codecs. Restart, then Your system shoud now be familiar to you.

Cheers.

3. xanders

xanders Guest

hi onya, i uninstalled the winamp,avs player, vlc player n wmp rolled back to window 9. then i did the Crap cleaner and reboot the system. the AVI files still dont work. I havent altered any of the avi files. wat i did was jsut reformat my laptop. the movies were transferred from older external hard drive to the newer one. Before reformatting the laptop everything was fine.
    any clues? unless i didnt clean the associate files properly? wat the associate files of the player? which player do u mean?
    much appreciated for your helps.

4. onya

onya Guest

What I mean by Associated files is, that when an application is uninstalled there is often the named folder left behind in program files. Delete the file(s) manually. Winamp was the player I was reffering to. When you ran Crap cleaner, did you select the ISSUES button, and then run that?

Cheers.

5. xanders

xanders Guest

I selected Issues in crap cleaner, restart and reinstalled the codec - K-Lite codecs. But it still doesnt work. Manually deleted files as well.
    any more ideas? im pulling my hair out here.

6. onya

onya Guest

You say your pulling your hair out? Me too! So to recap, we've uninstalled all related software, removed any and all files related to previously installed software, ran a registry cleaner. Restarted, then reinstalled the required software, and you still can't play your Avi's like before.

Are you getting any error messages?
    When you say you had to reformat the HD, what was the reason?

7. xanders

xanders Guest

I had to reformat it because i deleted something in the C drive and the laptop wont start. The only way to get back into the system is to reformat the whole thing and start all over. I installed Direct X 9.0c as i saw from a forum. It still doesnt work. But anyway, I guess if there is no solutions, might as well delete those ones that dont work. Or keep repeating the procedure of uninstall and installing.