1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

nothing works to convert this file....help please

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by mjkass, Jan 21, 2005.

1. mjkass

mjkass Member

i have a divx file and according to g-spot i have installed on my pc...3 video codecs that will decode this file, it also states that its a valid AVI file DX50/divx type.
    I have tried to convert it to dvd files suitable for authuring with dvd-lab (pro) using Mainconcept encoder, Cucusoft AVI-DVD converter and also TMPGenc express and all of these programs fail to convert this file an error message appears on screen....CAN ANYBODY HELP? As this is driving me up the wall!

2. stardust

stardust Regular member

>an error message appears on screen

What this msg says? Open this avi in VirtualDubMod and save it to different file name both video and audio as 'direct stream copy'. Still same error msgs?

3. mjkass

mjkass Member

ok, tried that one...got some sort of result, it only encoded 19mins worth of the AVI file,when i loaded it into DVD-lab(pro) the file froze at exactly 19mins...any other suggestions please?
    The orriginal messages that appeared were that this program has encountered an error and windows needs to shut down!(this happens on whatever encoder i have tried to comvert this file with)
    by the way the Avi file will play fine with either the Divx player or windows media player without any hitches.

4. andmerr

andmerr Guest

run your file through AVICODEC then post the results.(This program is a free download from the net)

5. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

It could be 'not a codec problem'. Can you see the beginning of the movie? There might also be a corruption point around at 19 sec. Try saving a piece of movie (movie.part2) with range = 60000 ms --> end with VirtualDub (Video__Direct stream Copy). Then, if this works, you can try to reduce 60000 ms towards 19000 ms (the point where the movie is corrupt, and where this trick will stop working. Vituladub will signal an error.). Post again here your results.
    Of course, the 'movie.part1' (0--> 18000 ms) will work and you could try to add it to 'movie.part2' movie. But, there's no way to recover the missing samples (but you'll miss only a few seconds, I hope)

6. mjkass

mjkass Member

thank you for your advice so far about this file, here are the full details of this nuisance file (details are by using avi codec)
    File : 343 MB (343 MB), duration: 0:44:06, type: AVI, 1 audio stream(s), quality: 47 %

Video : 303 MB, 963 Kbps, 25.0 fps, 512*384 (4:3), DX50 = DivXNetworks Divx v5, Not checked

Audio : 39 MB, 126 Kbps, 48000 Hz, 2 channels, 0x55 = MPEG Layer-3, Supported

further help will be appreciated.

7. andmerr

andmerr Guest