1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nothing works when 2 PC's are online together

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by L33, Dec 12, 2004.

1. L33

L33 Member

Hi,

My flatmate and I recently got the 1mb broadband deal from BT Yahoo with the BT Voyager 205 router and we're having some trouble using it with the 2 computers in our flat. I thought I had it set up correctly but I'm starting to think oterwise.

With only 1 PC connected we get very fast download speeds (119KB/s is my record) and pages takes only a fraction of a second to load however with the 2 machines on they both sturggle to do anyhting, even just loading Google. For example, if one of us uses a torrent client (BitComet, hence the post here) it's very slow and kills all online activity on the other machine. There's also seems no set pattern to what happens, something just decides to give 1 PC a better conenction than the other. Some times they both work, some times 1 works and some times neither works.

The PCs are not networked at all, they just use the same router. I have my PC using the ethernet socket and his using the USB (the 2 options on the router). Both are set to automatically aqcuire their IP adresses too. Should this be the case? We both use WinXP Pro (SP2) and it's firewall but all relevant ports and programs are in the exception list and the patch to allow more than 10 connection has been applied as well.

Can anyone suggest anything I might be doing wrong or a possible way to improve the speed of both machines? I understand that 2 will not be as quick as 1 but surely both should still work at a reasonable speed. What should we set our download and upload limits to in BitComet? I know it's not 1024/256. I just did a test on both machines using www.dslreports.com and it says 853kbps download, 233kbps upload and 109 kbps average transfer.

Are there any good guides or tutorials I should look at? I tried Googling it but the results I found did not help. I've also searched though this site but again the information was not specific to my problem, or I just too stupid to see it is.

Also, would his slower PC have any implications on mine? I have a HP P4 2.8GHz with 512MB RAM and he has some old Dell P3 thing with 128MB RAM.

If you want me to provide any other information on the set-up that might help towards a solution then please don't hesitate to ask.

Any help will be most appreciated!

Thanks

2. L33

L33 Member

No one?

3. Kingd

Kingd Guest

Get a router, i think using the modem the way you are, they 2 connections are fighting themselves. With a router, you get true LAN ability and can share internet.

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

as kingd said get a router as you are to use either connection not both so that is why is slow because they are conflicting. i am using a router on mine with no problems & with 2 computers too

5. HatTrik24

HatTrik24 Regular member

Yup.. a router sounds like the way to go.. I have 5 computers on mine and none are slow.

Triks

6. colrich

colrich Guest

The V205 is a router! The best solution would be for you to get a cheap hub, link the two pcs to that and from there to the router. The USB/Lan combination is prone to problems. Also the USB connection imposes quite an overhead on your system resources. Also check frequently the www.bt.com/btcommunicator/help page for a firmware update due soon for the V205. Hope this helps