1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

nothing works

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by bdwc, May 8, 2007.

1. bdwc

bdwc Guest

guys i recently had my hard drives reformated, and i reloaded all ny programs on my machine. shrink, dvd decriptor. ripit for me fabdvd
    nothing seems to work i copy and it looks as if it burns but wont play on my computeror home dvd player. i have gotten several messages
    stuck or stoped in play mode,fsctl lock volume failed ioa error and many outhers that i dont remeber. the thing is no matter what i try i cant get a copy that will play what can i do

bdwc

2. attar

attar Senior member

You can't rip a dvd?

3. bdwc

bdwc Guest

nothing works it seems as though it does but the few that i have been able to play freezes up or blocks out so bad that it caint be watched can a dvd burner read but not burn i have gotten several disc that appears to large for a singlr layer disc and i vaint reduve it through reauthering or deleating the extras so that it can be recorded
    im scratching my head

4. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

What is your specific problem?
    Burning?

What process of programs are you using for the backup?

What brand of disks are you using?

What speed are you burning at?

we need more info to help.

if you are burning with nero post a burn log

5. bdwc

bdwc Guest

6. bdwc

bdwc Guest

300 dvd shrink with any dvd dvd dycrypter buring with dycrypter
    ripitforme shrink tried dycrypter and img. i bought a cheaper disc this time a best buy discdynex normally use sony or tdk record at max speed what ever that is i have a 4x burner not to knowlable jus a new guy. thanks for any help

7. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

What operating system do you have?

You need to see where the problem is. Rip the source files to the hard drive and open and check. Then use Shrink and save the output to the hard drive. Again check the files. Then burn the Shrink output from the hard drive and check. It always helps knowning where the failure occurs.

8. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

from original post,
    you having trouble with playback?

Dynex media might be the problem, also the burn speed too, (you said you bunn at max) what speed does it burn at?

Put a blank dvd in and open decrypter and then post same info, post your burners model number and firmware
    [​IMG]
    then post the MID info for the blank media(dynex) you are using
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 9, 2007
  9. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Bowler,
    With a 4X burner it can't go too fast. I agree it could be the media. Looks like you got it covered if it's in the burn sequence. Firmware is becoming a serious problem with the older drives. Some won't handle the new high speed media without a firmware upgrade and a bunch haven't been upgraded.

10. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

pacman,

yeah, we need the model of the burner to see if it is a 4x burner(if it is it has to be really old)

11. bdwc

bdwc Guest

i an running windows 2000 profesional and the dvd drive is listed
    as a generic dvd duel 4xmax it is an older drive i have had it for three or four years. always worked well untill now used it alot.
    im not to knowlegeable but aiways seemed work out problems through trial and error. i have romoved and reinsalled all of my programs thinking they may become flacky but no help

12. Mez

Mez Active member

You were guessing it might be the disks. I think you are right! They are only a very short step away from non branded disks. I have seen them as low as $5/50 and I still would not buy them.

Also I was not ever able to get my burner of that era to even read fast cheep disks. Not even after I loaded the latest firmware. When firmware is not enough it is time to load new hardware. It is time to save some money and buy a new burner.

13. bdwc

bdwc Guest

thanks i will buy some better disc tommorow and go from there i let you know i have been thinking o a duel layer burner been getting a lot of movies that wont fit on a normal disc

14. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

It's nice to have the dual layer option, but I still do most of my burns to DVD5. That's what transcoding software like Shrink and encoding software like Rebuilder are for, to fit those larger files to smaller discs. Rebuilder does it so well I don't worry about editing extras. Using the quality settings in 3.2 Shrink does a good backup.

I had a 4X burner and kept it until it went bad. It lasted a long time, so no complaints. What I liked best was being able to toss in the disc and never having to worry about setting the speed. I don't like burning at max with 16X media.

I think I'd find the problem before ditching the drive. Bowler showed you how to ID the drive using DVD Decrypter. What does that program list your drive as and the firmware version?

Just so we know what you're using under the Dynex brand, go to CDFreaks and download DVD Identifier. Post the manufacturer ID for us. It pays to ID your media each time you get a new batch. For instance Memorex has a bad name, but they've started using Ricoh as one of the manufacturers and that is usually good media. Since you can't tell a disc by the cover, I stay away from Memorex. I like to know if the brands I buy are sticking with the better manufacturers, so I use DVD Identifier to ID each batch.

Hopefully your problem is as simple as just changing the media. It happens that way sometimes. Good luck.

Last edited: May 9, 2007
  15. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

i think most people are still using dvd5 and wont change until dvd9 gets even cheaper, however it seems like dvd9's are getting cheaper by the month.

just like pacman said thats what dvd shrink is for.

in your other post i thought you said you use dvd shrink, is that what you use with anydvd?

Also make sure your anydvd is up to date(Newest version)

16. bdwc

bdwc Guest

Dynex disc are made by mitsubishi chemical corp. media type 004 recording speed is 1x 2.4x 4x and6x-8x i would think that mitsubishi would make a good product. Im going to buy some sony disc today and give it a try and cross my fingers.

17. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

Wow, those are made by MCC, MCC is considered to be one of the best manufacturers for media.

when you try those sonys and if they dont work, then i think it might be time to get a new burner, BTW goods ones are very cheap nowadays, 30$ and up.

18. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

The +R Sony are the better media, at least in my opinion. I've got a few hundred burns without a coaster and that's using the Taiwan manufactured +R (by Sony) as well as the Japanese (by Taiyo Yuden).

Normally Mitsubishi (MCC) is good media. They are the in house manufacturers of Verbatim. A change of media may be more compatible, but I don't think it's a matter of quality (going by manufacturer reputation).

Did you ever look in DVD Decrypter or DVDInfoPro to see if you could find the manufacturer and firmware version?

Last edited: May 10, 2007
  19. Mez

Mez Active member

I have seen several reports like this one in the last week and the disks were Dynex, not that there is any proof they were the problem. Years ago I used to by house brands with mostly success. I have enough back up DVDs that I don't want any more. I have discovered marginal disks are great for data because the burners can read them OK. The problem is my readers have probelems with marginal disks.

The last year I was using a NEC 8X as a back up burner I needed to use Sony disks for that drive. It would not recognize the fast, cheaper disks that worked fine on the new burner. These brands had been OK when they were 8X but the 16X did not work. Now 16x is my slower drive on the kids computer and I am a happy camper. Buying a few Sonys might answer some important questions.

You might want to make sure you know it is the disks.

Check out some hardware spots on this forum for advice on drives. I like Lite-ons they are cheap and extreamly good, especially for the price. Plextor is the 'king of the Hill' but they are not cheap. I am sure I do not know what I am missing there. Better burners read through scratches better than bad burners. They also can write to bad media relably. So you can use those Dynex for backup disks if you find out they are the problem. You will notice the difference going from a 4X to a 32X burner! I only burn at half the rated speed of the media.

20. bdwc

bdwc Guest

Guts and GALS IWANT TO THAK YOU FOR ALL THE HELP AND FEEDBACK.
    I bought some sony +R yesterday and reloaded my ripit4me program pack and im back in bussiness dont know if it was the media or the program. Did pusuit of happyness today with no problem. I just want to say again thanks alot for the help greatly apreciated