1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Novice needs expert help with External Burner

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by kayaness, Oct 29, 2004.

1. kayaness

kayaness Member

I have recently purchased a 12x Samsung TS-H542A DVD Burner in an external case. It takes me a good 1 & 1/2 to both read and and another 1 & 1/2 to write a full DVD. Browsing through a lot of the threads here with similar problems I've come to the conclusion that it's to do with the DMA. My CD-Rom & CD-Burner both have DMA on status, but the DVD Burner doesn't list DMA at all. Knowing nothing at all about DMA and how to configure it, can anyone give me some advice on how to do this?
    Any help (in layman's terms where possible) would be gratefully appreciated!
    Thanks.

2. aut0psy

aut0psy Regular member

Well to ensure the DMA is enabled you will want to checj that through Control Panel and Device Manager which I assume is what you did with you're CD-Rom and CD-R drives?

If I am not mistaken, you're drive being external is definitely going to slow down the transfer rates whether you are connected via USB or parallel?

In other words, I think the issue is more towards the fact that the drive is external, with the reduced speeds.

Someone else can fill us both in, I am interested in knowing for sure now.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2004
  3. kayaness

kayaness Member

Well, the funny thing is that it was burning OK initially. I understand that the external case would cause it to slow down, but I was able to write and burn in about 20 minutes each process. I'd be happy with that, but for some reason it's just slowed way down. I've done all the basic stuff like scandisk & defrag. I've made sure I have enough drive space & disable firewall, anti-virus etc. when buring, but nothing has helped. Oh, I forgot to mention that DMA isn't even listed in the Device Manager settings. Both the other CD drives have a DMA check box, but the DVD doesn't. Could that have anything to do with the external case?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2004
  4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

DMA isn't applicable to USB devices :)

Are you using an USB 2.0 port? I imagine you are considering your initial 20 minute burn times but it'd be good to check anyway. Here's how:

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000602.htm

Basically USB 2.0 controllers will be listed as "Enhanced" in Devcice Manager.

Are you running the latest firmware for your drive?

What brand/type media are you using?

It appears that you have an internal CD burner correct? If this is the case, I'd highly recommend swapping it out for your new DVD burner. External DVD burners seem to be prone to transfer and communication problems.

5. kayaness

kayaness Member

Yeah, I'd actually thought that maybe it would be a better idea to install it internally. I think that'll be my next step.
    Thank you both very much for your help =)

6. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Anytime :)

7. dvdxbest

dvdxbest Member

You mentioned external case. get a combo USB/1394
    case. Test may show speeds:firewire=50/usb=60 in favor of USB. I find Firewire faster.
    Microsoft says: "FireWire card readers are typically faster than those that connect via USB. Also known as IEEE 1394, FireWire was invented by Apple Computer but is now commonly used with Windows-based PCs as well."
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/digitalphotography/glossary/default.asp

In fact, 1394B/800 is also now available.