1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Now it's my turn to ask for some help...MPEG-2 to MPEG-1 conversions

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by aldaco12, Nov 5, 2004.

1. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

I hope tthat someone had this problem before. The problem is this: I need to convert a MPEG-2 movie to MPEg-1, because I want to subtitle it and Virtualdub needs MPEG-1 files.
    If I use TMPGenc + the .M2V plugin, the result, even with motion search precision = highest quality (very slow) has a quality of the output movie less than average, and less than the original movie.
    If I use Womble VCR, saving the MPEG as 'MPEG-1 Video-CD' (setting 'quality high and low speed') much often (2 times on 3 total I tried this) the output movie had some part of the video cut from the original movie; I mean, the sound is OK (and is 1:1 with the written subtitle I can test this with BSPlayer) but if the movie is [bold]60'[/bold] long and on the 'MPEG-1 Video-CD' screen I read [bold]estimated length=600 MB[/bold], the result often is a movie shorter (es. [bold]50' instead of being 60'[/bold]) and a corresponding length less then the estimated oe (e.g. [bold]500 MB instead of 600 MB[/bold]).
    The consequence of this 'video cutting' is that the sound isn't more in-sync with the video of the movie, sice the sound seems 1:1 bt the video isn't.
    Therefore I'm with this dilemma:
    1. bad final MPEG-1 quality of the output movie with TMPGenc + .M2V plugin or
    2. cut movie and, therefore, useless, with Womble VCR

2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Maybe the reason for Womble not converting the file well is that the MPEG-2 resolution in 640x480 instead of being 480x480.
    I don't remember the resolution of the old MPEG-2 file I managed to convert well with Womble MPEG-VCR, but probably this is the reason.

3. manyone

manyone Member

when i get an mpeg2 file, i automatically follow these steps to convert to mpeg1.
    1. open the mpeg2 with dvd2avi
    2. click audio...output...demux(ac3)
    3. click audio...dolby digital...dolby surround
    4. click audio...48->44khz...off
    5. from File...Save As...new file with extension .d2v
    6. run tmpgenc tools to multiplex the .d2v (as video input) and the .ac3 (as audio input) to create the mpeg1
    i hope this works for you.

4. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Thanks a lot. Before I read this, I found an alternative method similat to yours, that seems to work:

- run MainConcept MPEG encoder
    - load the MPEG-2 with it

settings
    =========

- MPEG Type: MPEG-1
    - Stream Type: Elementary Video
    (it creates a .m2v which can must be loaded by TMPGenc + m2v plugin (and, if needed, resized) joining it to the audio using as 'audio input' the input MPEG-2)

press Details to choose some extra settings
    -------------------------------------------

size: as the input movie (I'll resize it with TMPGenc+m2v later, no problem now)
    search method: 15 (exact; maybe putting a lower number gives a good result in less of the time)
    search mode: 17 (default)

Converting it, on a Pentium III it will need about 3.5 hrs for a SVCD movie 830 MB long (1 CD). After that, the TMPGenc's movie "m2v + the sound from the MPEG-2 file" is good and almost correct even with motion search precision 'high quality (slow)' and NOT 'highest quality (very slow)' when a direct conversion with TMPGenc + the m2v plugin gives a lousy movie even with motion search precision 'highest quality (very slow)'.

The problem is, alas, that people does things without knowing the basics so you can find SVCD movies (standard: 480x480 - NTSC or 480x576 - PAL) 640x480!!!

Usually a standard MPEG-2 movie is converted by Womble MPEG-VCR in half of the time that MainConcept MPEG Converter, with excellent quality, but it locks with such non-standard movies!!!

Thanks anyway, this was a very difficult issue. I don't think you should be classified as the default 'newbie'!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2004