1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Now I've got heartaches by the number, coasters by the score......HELP!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by joniliff, Nov 1, 2004.

1. joniliff

joniliff Member

A year or so ago, I was able to backup MOST of my DVD movies to DVD-R. For the past 3-4 months all I'm making is coasters! (I CAN create backups, but they ALL have pausing and stuttering, sometimes freezing.) I originally used 321 Studios Xpress, then the Platinum version. Finally upgraded to the latest RF version, with the available ripper patch. Then, on to DVD Shrink, and DVD Decrypter. I had the latest Roxio, but now have the latest Nero. I'm on a network, but I disable the network to burn, and disable the Norton AV. Nothing runs in the background, and I leave the machine alone. I've been trying two different machines, with the same results. My latest efforts are on an Intel 2GHz, with 1GB RAM, and GB's of free space on the HDD, using an external Sony DRX-500ULX, with the latest firmware, burning at 2X. The other machine, with the same results, is an Intel 3GHz, with 2GB RAM, GB's of free space on the HDD, using an internal Lite-On SOHW-812S. Both machines are WinXP, SP2 setups. I used to use Memorex or Verbatim (sometimes successfully), but have switched to the 'forum recommended' Ridata DVD-R's, with the same poor results. WHAT am I doing wrong, and why can't I create good backups?? TIA, John

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

I would first make sure you've uninstalled Drag to Disc and InCD4.

3. joniliff

joniliff Member

Thanks for the input...yep, done that, way back on both machines.

John

4. askyew

askyew Regular member

how long has it been since you defragged your drives?

5. joniliff

joniliff Member

Defragged about a week ago...it's done regularly, along with AV scan, Ad-Aware scan, etc. I'm a 'neat' freak on my machines. Thanks for the input...don't quit with the suggestions, please.

John

6. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Try some quality dvd+r media. Lite-ons actually perform better with +r media and some Sonys are made by Lite-on. Stay away from memorex and although Ritek G04 has been good media in the past, I think their consistancy is starting to vary some from batch to batch now. I had to burn my last batch of G04's at 2x and even then it was no guarantee. My Litey SOHW-832S loves Ritek Ridata dvd+r (Ricohjpn R01 02) media. When useing dvd shrink set the target size to 4300MB so you don't burn clear out to the very outer edge of the disc. You can't do this with xpress and may still get some freezing or pixelating at the end of the movie.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]AMD Athlon Thunderbird 1.33 Ghz 512 MB PC133 Ram
    Lite-On SOHW-832S f/w GC3B DVDRW
    18" lcd monitor
    Win XP Nero 6.6.0.1
    DVDXCopy Xpress 3.2.1 DVD Decryptor/DVD Shrink 3.2
    I know not too impressive saving my money[/small]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2004
  7. joniliff

joniliff Member

I have used + and - R's...same results. A couple of years ago, I was convinced that +R was the 'wave of the future'...that's why I have +/- combo burners. But my Video equipment, to the TV, etc., only plays the -R's, so that's why I'm 'stuck' with the -R's today.

John

8. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I know that with your lite-on dvdrw you can booktype the dvd+r and +rw medias to dvd-rom making them as compatable if not more so as dvd-r with stand-alone dvd players.
    http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/150

Last edited: Nov 2, 2004
  9. askyew

askyew Regular member

Joniliff if I missed it sorry, but have you played the file on the computer and got the same results? Have you tried the burned DVD on another stand alone player?

10. aut0psy

aut0psy Regular member

11. joniliff

joniliff Member

aut0psy...I didn't, and I won't...thanks for the input.

John