1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NTFS Files?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by davebon, Apr 4, 2007.

1. davebon

davebon Member

My Windows XP C: drive is about maxed out.

13.3 GB used
    2.65 GB available
    Total: 15.9 GB

I notice the computer has a D: drive which is neither the CD or DVD drive. It's listed as "NTFS"

409 GB used
    39.4 GB available
    Total: 39.8 GB

What is this drive? How can I use it -- if at all. Any reason I can't move some C: Drive (FAT 32) folder over to that drive?

If not it looks like time for a new computer.... uggh.

2. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

It looks like you have split the hard drive in to two drives one being the C: and the other D:

C: file system is in FAT32(File Allocation Tavle 32) and D: file system is NTFS (New Technology File System).

You should be able to transfer and copy files over from one to the other. If not try to change the FAT32 drive to NTFS by going into your computers disk managment and converting the file system into NTFS.

If you need any more help please let me know.

3. davebon

davebon Member

Thanx.

The comptuer was apprently set up thjis way when I bought it.

query: wouldn't changing teh FAT 32 to NTFS make me lose what's on that drive?

4. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

When converting it should not make you loose anything. But if you format the drive it will. What i recommend is to try and copy everything u may need and then try converting the drives.

5. TY4ever

TY4ever Regular member

And what if about i'm trying to convert my drive c which is in FAT32 and it has my OS installed on it?Will the conversion to NTFS affect my OS?

Vincent.

6. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

No it should not effect your OS if anything it should optimize your OS's performance. If you are running XP it prefers NTFS.

7. TY4ever

TY4ever Regular member

Okay,thanks for that.I don't know for which particular reason they have put the drive c on fat32 and the d on ntfs.Btw,the pc is running under windows xp pro,so i guess i can go on with the converting process.It was kind of frustrating because under the fat32,it was not possible for a folder to contain more than 4gb of data but i know that should not be a problem if it was in ntfs.But thanks again for the confirmation.

But one more thing,where should i go or what are steps to be followed to make such conversion?

Vincent.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2007
  8. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

TY4ever, fat32 can handle more than 4gig in a folder but cannot handle a file that is more than 4gig in size. that is why they brought out ntfs.

9. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Watch out.. there will probably be a reason for the FAT32 format that isn't obvious.
    A lot of HP/compaq and laptops have a fat32 system partition for whatever reason, probably old firmware drivers or something.

Without more details on the hardware I can't begin to guess if changing the file format will make any difference, but unless I was certain it wasn't going to cause an awkward OS fail situation I would leave it well alone.

On some compaq machines changing a system partition from fat32 to ntfs causes a "162 system options not set" error and no boot.. Not easy to recover from either.

10. ddp

hello jan.

11. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Hi ddp.. just thought a little warning and seeking more specific hardware info is needed before advising what could be a system killing modification.

12. ddp

no problem as i was just saying hi

13. TY4ever

TY4ever Regular member

Thanks for the correction ddp,in fact you're right,it's the file which can't be more the 4gb and not the folder.

And Janrocks,i think i better listen to your little precious advice,it's working great without any problem but with only that frustrating drive c which is in fat32 but i rather leave it like that if changing to ntfs can cause more harm than good.I prefer not take this kind of risk because i don't know to whom i will run to if the pc starts getting errors and problems to boot.

Thanks a lot Janrocks and ddp.

Vincent.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2007
  14. ddp

no problem, teach & learn