1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ntl digital tv

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by ulysses03, Mar 19, 2005.

1. mart2oo6

mart2oo6 Member

Is it possible to use a DVD recorder? then record directly onto the disc and copy the disc to your hard drive?

2. juniorken

juniorken Member

maybe if your dvd-recorder has a scart line-in and you connect your cabletuner straight to it? Never tried this before, maybe it works.

3. mart2oo6

mart2oo6 Member

I have checked and some come with scart line-in, though in some reviews i have read RGB Scart Line-In is not so good as it can reduce colour and definition. Some also come with DVI input, which I guess would give the best quality, but my set-top-box does not have a DVI out connection.
    Also, there are some DVD recorders with firewire connections, so maybe video could be transferred from the recorders hard drive to the pc? Not sure though. I'll need 2 find somemore info.
    Cheers.
    Martin

4. juniorken

juniorken Member

firewire is prob for connecting a videocamera to your recorder i suppose...

5. popper

popper Member

mart2oo6:
    "DVB-T card (HD Ready) and that only receives the free-to-air digital channels, and the only other connections it has is composite and s-video which I can connect to my NTL set-top box but they convert the signal to analogue so I dont get digital quality."

the simple fact is theres lots of confusion on this thread

first we are talking UK NTL/TW cable nothing to do with the US or their systems.

second the NTL cable box is working EXACTLY the same as your DVB-T card,except its using digital cable to deliver the already digital transport stream (.ts) rather than radio waves as per the DVB-T digital receaver.

theres no need to convert these .ts signals if you can capture them to your harddrive, and theres the problem.......

as Johnathon said,"The problem is that ntl and Telewest utilise NAGRA conditional access i.e. channel encrytion. So if you are going to buy a device that isn't suppiled by those companies then it better support NAGRA or all you will be able to get is free to air channels, in other words nothing you don't have already."

in other words, the official NTL/Tw STB's have 'NAGRA conditional access' units built-in to them, so you NEED a PCi/USB(do USB exist?)
    card thst also got a CAM onboard or something extra (someone explain this in greater detail) unit with the NAGRA and can take your official NTL smart-card to descramble the non free to air/broadcast
    channels.

the ability to de-scamble these NTL channels already exists (as can be seen by the many digital STB piracy adverts they are screening right now) but trying to find a simple PCi DVB-C card with BDA drivers and with functioning cam that can take the real official NTL smart-cards is hard to find, if you know of any info/links to such cards then please inform the readers as it would be so nice to just plug an official smart card that im already paying for into such a unit and use http://jtvlan.netsons.org/howto.php to stream off one PC to any No. of PC's or Xbox running VLC.

is that any clearer for you?.