1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NTSC 16.9 in UK gives letterbox picture

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by economy, Jul 9, 2007.

1. economy

economy Member

Apologies if posted in the wrong place. I have tried searching and haven`t found the answer to my question..
    I have a NTSC dvd 720x480(16.9) when I play the DVD in either a PC or 16.9 TV in UK I get black bars at the top and bottom, is there a way I can redo the DVD so it is normal 16.9 ie without the black bars ( I don`t want to convert to PAL as I lose the menus and extras).
    I suspect the answer is no which is why I havent been able to find an answer. Thanks in advance..

2. MysticE

MysticE Active member

The question is, does the aspect ratio seem correct? Do things look sqished vertically?

3. economy

economy Member

picture is perfect, just the bars top and bottom.
    I`ve checked the Ar and it is 2.35..
    I`ve checked out the PAL UK version and it is available from HMV at the same AR but Amazon it is 1.78.
    Which one will if any will fill my W/S TV??
    Thanks for the answers..

4. MysticE

MysticE Active member

That's the case with many movies, hence the need for the bars. 16:9 AR is meant for HDTV not movies.

There is really no way to adjust for this and retain menus etc. An app like MainConcept encoder will allow you to get a true 16:9 vid but you will have to do a fairly heavy trim/crop of the sides to get a natural looking result. My JVC player has a 1.8X zoom that does a decent job of filling my 16:9 with a 2.35 source (my wife uses it).