1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NTSC FIlm - DVD Dilemna

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by danza108, Dec 29, 2004.

1. danza108

danza108 Member

Hi, i am new to all of this,
    But i am tryin to convert tv episodes i have dled to dvds. They are from HDTV and in DivX format with 23.976fps (NTSC Film) with MP3 audio. i have tried with the guide provided on this site, with no sucess.

With Tmpgenc (2.5), there is a message of invalid pointer and resulting mpeg has no video, just audio. I tried to extract the audio with virtual dub and encode with Tmpgenc 3.0 Xpress, but first it came out with out of sync audio, the second time, it wouldnt encode and said there was an invalid sample rate. When I use the audio from the avi, not the WAV, the invalid sample rate problem occurs.

I was just wondering if anyone else has tried this, and wondering a workable way to solve this, step-by-step. Is there a problem because NTSC Film is in 23.976fps and DVDs are only in NTSC and PAL? Is that why i am gettin sync problems? Also the WAV file i extract is off the video file by about 1 second, is that a problem?

I can encode NTSC - 29.97fps and PAL - 25 fps easily, but with NTSC Film it is different. So can any give me a step-by-step guide. Any DVD format is fine.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2004
  2. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

Film video needs pulldown flags added after encoding to MPEG-2 to make it read at NTSC framerates. DVD-Lab will do this automatically for you if you import the video or there are a couple of free programs (Pulldown and DoPulldown) that can do it.

3. danza108

danza108 Member

Do I do this after i have encoded to mpeg, which is out of sync?

Thnks for your help

4. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

It needs to be done after converting. Pulldown flags just tell the player to read certain fields twice to change 23.976fps progressive into 29.97fps interlaced. I'm not sure what's causing your synch problems. If it's off when you start I imagine it will still be off when you add pulldown flags. I use VDub to demux the audio to a separate file before encoding with CCE and I've never had any synch problems so I can't help much there.

5. danza108

danza108 Member

Its not off, in AVI file, but when i encode into MPEG, it is off, even when i encode to the VCD NTSC FIlm format

I think it may have somethign to do with, when i open up the file in virtual Dub, i get this message:

Virtual Dub has detected an improper VBR audio encoding in the Source AVI file (audio stream 1). The current preference is to rewrite the audio header with standard CBR values during processing for better compatibility. This may introduce up to 8549 ms of shew from the video stream. If this is unacceptable, depress the *entire* audio stream to an uncompressed WAV file and recompress with a constant bitrate encoder. (bitrate:124.3+/- 15.3 kbps