1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NTSC games not working with projector

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by Kaerubooru, Oct 11, 2014.

1. Kaerubooru

Kaerubooru Newbie

Hello,

I have a softmodded Wii that has worked well with both PAL and NTSC games. Now I recently got myself a projector and have played with my Wii on that as well. However it seems like only PAL games are working properly. The NTSC ones (that have worked before) play only in black and white. I tried changing from Default to PAL (both 50hz and 60hz) and did get color, but the game freezes before even arriving at the menu. These games have not frozen for me before. Is there some settings I'm missing to adjust?

2. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

i've seen that happen with ps1 and pal tvs and ntsc games, or super famicon and australia tvs.We use to just change the setting to ntsc on the tv on the ps1 or when the newer mod chips came out all games displayed in pal anyway.
    Only 3 ways i can think of.
    1.change the setting on the projector( on the old tvs you press system on the remote and it would have (auto),(pal),(ntsc).
    2.change the settings on the wii.(output setting maybe)
    3.possible use a splitter to display the picture properly (not even sure it would work)

3. megadunderhead

megadunderhead Regular member

most likely it won't projectors have a high tendency to be hz rigged so most games in the u.s are at a lower hz setting which is why your games are playing in black and white because it can't handle the hz from the game

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

megadunderhead, wrong as pal runs at 50hz & ntsc runs at 60hz.
    "Simply put, one of the main differences is that NTSC and PAL both specify their own methods for transmitting the color information to your TV. Other differences are found in the resolution and frequency of the signal. NTSC uses 525 scan lines, of which 486 are visible. NTSC also uses 29.97 interlaced FPS or frames per second, this is done on a signal with frequency of ~60Hz. PAL on the other hand does not set exact format for these things in its specifications, although it uses a pretty standard format. PAL most commonly has 625 scan lines, of which 576 are visible. PAL generally runs 25 interlaced FPS with a signal of 50Hz."
    http://sewelldirect.com/articles/what-is-the-difference-between-pal-and-ntsc.aspx

5. megadunderhead

megadunderhead Regular member

ahh so i got it backwards thanks for the info its pal thats the lower signal rate it would still explain the black and white though if the projector cant support the higher resolution