1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NTSC-J on a North American PS2

Discussion in 'PS2' started by poopface, Sep 26, 2004.

1. poopface

poopface Member

Hi, there are a couple of Japanese games I'd like to purchase, however I know that you need a Japanese PS2 to play them because of the different NTSCs.

I'm wondering what kind of options are available to be able to play Japanese games on North American PS2s.

I heard there was some sort of switch you can get to plug into the front USB, but can't find any info on it.

If anyone can tell me about this and/or the best Modchip or other options I should go with, it would be a great help.

Thanks,

-Merc

2. azn_kda

azn_kda Regular member

the one with the switch that plug into the USB, that's a NEO KEY mod, but that only work up to V1-6. You wouldn't want those. Get a modchip, such as matrix, DMS3 or Magic. Those chip work fine. Or if you don't wanna void your warranty, use swap magic. Matrix or DMS3 will work best.

3. nrk4594

nrk4594 Regular member

I would recommend you buy a v10 pre-modified ps2 with the dms3 plus chip from xmodd. You'll be able to play any game from Japan with no problem.

Here's the site:
    www.xmodd.com/dms3premod.htm

4. GMO

GMO Member

I recommend magics or DMS, go with a magic 3.1 or higher if you want to save some money

i have a
    v0 PS2 NTSC-J with Messiah 2.1.a
    v1 PS2 NTSC with Magic 3.1 red
    v1 Ps2 NTSC with DMS v2
    v7 Ps2 NTSC with DuoII w/ Magic ICE code
    V9 Ps2 NTSC with DuoII SL
    PAL PS2 with Messiah 2 custom

and they all work!