1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NTSC / PAL

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by HullGhost, Sep 25, 2003.

1. HullGhost

HullGhost Member

Does anybody know of a simple way to covert a riped NTSC DVD to PAL or Vice-Versa.

Or is there some automated software out there that will do it?

I tried just changing the NTSC Bits in ifo edit to PAL, I ended up with a nice coffee stand. (Wasted a DVD R)

Thanks

2. Motomatt

Motomatt Regular member

I am pretty sure that Tmpgenc does what you are trying to do.

MAtt

3. jnihil

jnihil Moderator Staff Member

You can't just flip the bits in ifoedit because the framerate and image resolution is different for PAL and NTSC. I wish it was that easy.

Like the previous post said, you'll need to either reencode the video using tmpgenc, cce, or procoder. I think procoder is the only one that comes close to 'automated' tho. www.dvdrhelp.com has a guide on doing this using tmpgenc. I believe some people are using Avisynth to convert as well. Probably worth looking into if you want a 'free' solution.

If you have many PAL/NTSC discs, I recommend getting a cheap Chinese DVD player with the converter built-in. These conversions take a long time. I used to use the Canopus software to do them but I gave up doing them a long time ago. I just don't have enough time to do them all.

Rgds,
    jnihil.

4. HullGhost

HullGhost Member

Thanks!!!

5. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well I can tell you for a Fact that Tmpgenc does not Convert Pal/NTSC Properly, the Converted Files will Have Jumpy Playback on your TV and the audio will go in and Out of sync..AVISynth will do a Much better Job but what i do that seems to work well Is I load My source files into a Good Quality Video editor like Premier Pro or Vegas Video and use it to convert from Pal to NTSC and Render as an AVI file useing the HuffyUV codec as it is Lossless and you will not loose any Quality converting to HuffyUV, then I encode the HuffyUV encoded File to Mpeg2 for DVD...I rescently had to Do this with an advanced copy of the Matrix on DVD but it was a Pal DVD so I used this Method to convert it to NTSC(23.97fps) Mpeg2 then used DoPulldown to add the Pulldown Flags and authored it to DVD...It turned out Flawless....Cheers

6. jnihil

jnihil Moderator Staff Member

Good input. Thanks.

7. jsouthpaw

jsouthpaw Member

easy video converter 3.5 will do it now if i could only get the serial for the dam thing it leave a watermark on the video until you register it no brainer conversion though

8. HullGhost

HullGhost Member

Thanks for all of your helpful info and advice.

I will check it all out and see what gives me the best results.

Cheers

Last edited: Sep 29, 2003
  9. Yuriv

Yuriv Regular member

Just changing the framerate and resolution in TMPGEnc Plus will definitley not work...

The best program for NTC-to-PAL/PAL-to-NTSC conversion is definitely Canopus Procoder. I have had great success with conversions of PAL DVDs and AVIs to NTSC format. (In particular, this program has kept the sound in sync in 99% of the cases, which is really the biggest challenge of this conversion process.)

If you are going from NTSC-to-PAL, you can also use the (much cheaper) option of DVD2SVCD. This program is made for SVCD production, but can be tweaked to output DVD compatible MPEG2 files. There is a link to a guide on the software homepage http://www.dvd2svcd.org

In addition to the process outlined in the guide, you could just select the "NTSC to PAL" box during the set-up process. I really wish the DVD2SVCD guys would add a conversion option for the other direction....