1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NTSC to PAL Conversion

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by newcomers, Oct 11, 2004.

1. newcomers

newcomers Member

Hi guys,

I have searched through these forums and noticed the same question asked many times, but there seems to be a lot of unfinished ways of doing this.

I have some ntsc dvd's that id like to convert to pal. I have tried using dvd santa, nero, patch methods etc but they all result in a jerky dvd and messes up menus.

What is the best way to convert an ntsc dvd to pal (without any jerkyness, and without messing up menu's etc..I dont even mind if I have to lose the menu's, as long as the dvd is functional and plays correctly). I know there is no easy way of doing this, so what Im looking for (if possible) is a step by step guide to do this.

Also, how will I know if the original dvd is progressive or interlaced?

Many thanks for your time

P.S I am willing to pay a small fee to whoever tells me how to do this, because so far it has cost me at least 15 dvds!!!

2. ekaparis

ekaparis Member

Any one? I have the exact same problem! Please help!

3. camstuf

camstuf Guest

4. newcomers

newcomers Member

ekaparis, use a program called dvd2svcd...it takes about 12-16 hours put it converts it perfectly, and the video quality remains exactly the same

It can take avi,dvd or svcd as input and it can output to avi,dvd,svcd

Although its called dvd2svcd, it does actuall do dvd to dvd

5. andmerr

andmerr Guest

6. ronezra

ronezra Member

In an attemp to convert some of my home videos to PAL (for friends in Germany), I have:

Downloaded and installed DVD2SVCD, installed the ASPI drivers, and installed TEMPGenc.

But I have spent an hour trying to figure out how to make the conversion to PAL. (No instructions with the program.)

Can anyone give a step-by-step process on how to convert a NTSC DVD to a PAL DVD?

TIA

:<Ron>

7. newcomers

newcomers Member

ok, if they are actual movie dvd's here is what you do:

1) run dvd2svcd

2) on the concersion tab, locate the first ifo file that contains the actual movie (no the menu, the movie)

3) tick the "NTSC TO PAL" box

4) Select the correct audio file

5) Click on the audio tab and set the audio to the highest quality (384) and make sure "Do not convert audio is UNTICKED

6) Under Encoder, select TMPGENC and the correct path and set the CBR/VBR type to "2 pass vbr" and field oder automatic

7) Under the misc tab, set your default output folder (where all the audio, video files, and scripts will be saved too) and select both the input and output types (if its an ntsc dvd to pal dvd youre doing, then select dvd for both)

8) Click on conversion again and hit the "GO" button

9) wait for a good few hours!!! (mine usually take about 12-16 hours) and when its done, you will either have an image (thers an option somewhere that asks you if you want an image, cant remember where!!!) or 2 folders, AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS, which will be the converted video. You can delete everything else

Hope that helps

PM me if you have any questions, I know how annoying it is not to be able to convert ntsc to pal!!!

8. ronezra

ronezra Member

Thanks for the help! It was exactly what I needed and I'm 4 hours into the conversion!

I used Pinnacle Studio 9 to capture from MiniDV camcorder, edit, and then burn directly to DVD. All easy to do and I got very good final quality. What this means is that I didn't work directly with files to burn the DVD's.

When I first started trying to put home movies to DVD a couple of years ago, I remember having to use Nero to burn the files. I assume that I will have to relearn Nero in order you burn the files that I am currently generating? Or can DCD2SVCD do that as well?

Thanks again for the help.

9. newcomers

newcomers Member

I use nero 6 to burn all my dvd's

You just select dvd > burn dvd video files, and then drag and drop all the files from VIDEO_TS folder that dvd2svcd created into the dvd project, and then hit the burn button.

Hope that helps

10. ronezra

ronezra Member

OK - I've purchased Nero 6 and burned the video files - everything seems to have gone pretty smoothly!

One question:

The final DVD sounds like it is running too slow when played on the computer. It also sounds that way in the NTSC player (the video is screwed up which I expected). I'm hoping that is normal (I have no way to test it in PAL - will just have to send it to my friends and wait for the results.)

Thank!!

11. newcomers

newcomers Member

I dont know what that could be as I only have a pal player and whenever Ive converted them, theyve played back without any problems at all

Hopefully there wont be a problem when theyre played back in your friends pal player

12. Meusa

Meusa Member

Thanks for your guide on how to use that program "newcomers" ive found it very helpful.

I have a question though. I used it to convert a NTSC movie to PAL and since converting it has lost the 5.1 Dolby Digital audio.

How do I still use 5.1 sound without it loosing synch with the new framerate?

Also, will I have to do the whole thing again? It took a whole night to do so id like to avoid it if possible. I havent touched the folder where everything was outputted and it still seems to have copies of the extracted audio and the video before it integrated them.

Can I just reprocess the audio and add it to the film again? How would I do this?

Thanks!!

13. newcomers

newcomers Member

Hi Meusa,

as fas as I know, you can keep the 5.1 audio by selecting (off the top of my head) mpeg 5.1 from the audio dropdown menu.

If you dont want to go through the whole process again you will need to know how to use a few of the programs that come with dvd2svcd.

Before you start the conversion again, look in your outpur folder for a text file which is a log of everything that dvd2svcd has run, along with the programs it has used and the options. copy this file to somewhere safe as you will need it later. Also, you may want to backup the final .mpv file (I think thats what it is)..it should be about 3-4 gig and if you play it, it should be your converted dvd.

What I would do is start the process again, Click on the audio tab and set the audio to the highest quality (384) and make sure "Do not convert audio" is UNTICKED and also set the audio to be mpeg 5.1. Now you can start the conversion

Now, if you look at the log window, you will see its converting the audio. Once it starts converting the video, cancel it and close dvd2svcd.

In your output folder you will now have the converted video (that you converted from the first conversion) and the newly made audio file. (note that if the video .mpv file is 0 bytes in size, you will need to copy the backed up version to this folder)

This is when you will have to look at the ORIGINAL log file that you backed up to see how to make an mpeg from the 2 files (video and audio) and then how to make the dvd from this final mpeg.

Sorry I cant be of any further help but I dont really know how the other programs work, but let me know if you have any probs and I will try and help.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2004
  14. Meusa

Meusa Member

Ok, I have redone the audio part, but my output files are a little different now.

I still have 'Encoded_audio_1.mp2' which for some reason is about 100mb smaller than the previous 2 channel version, but I also now have 'Encoded_audio_1.aif' which is 4.5gb!

Ive found the part in the log file which joined the two together the first time round and that is:
    Executing MPlex. Commandline:

"C:\Program Files\DVD2SVCD\DVDAuthor\mplex.exe" -f 8 -o "C:\MOFPAL\MPlex_Muxed_File00.mpg" "C:\MOFPAL\VIDEO_TS\Encoded_Video_TMPGEnc_PAL.mpv" "C:\MOFPAL\AUDIO_TS\Encoded_audio_1.mp2"

It would normally be pretty easy to tell it to do that again replacing the audio file with the new version but I have this added 'Encoded_audio_1.aif' file now which im pretty sure is the one containing the 5.1 stream.

15. newcomers

newcomers Member

If Im correct, the .aif is the 1st extraction or a reencoding of the 1st extraxtion and isnt used for the final mpeg.

I think the one you need to use is the 'Encoded_audio_1.mp2'....however I dont remember that file being in the AUDIO_TS folder?? maybe its different on your system but on mine, the .mp2 file and the Encoded_Video_TMPGEnc_PAL.mpv wouldve been in the C:\MOFPAL\ directory not in VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS

16. newcomers

newcomers Member

Also, you couldnt use the 4.5 gig audio file cos that alone would take up 1 dvd!!!

17. Meusa

Meusa Member

Hmm, but why is the mp2 file 100mb smaller than the 2 channel one I originally outputted?

The files are located different on mine because I told it to output audio to AUDIO_TS and video to VIDEO_TS.

I have attached the two audio logs created after choosing 5.1.

http://www.rfhdisruptor1.btinternet.co.uk/MPEG51_log.txt

http://www.rfhdisruptor1.btinternet.co.uk/Encoded_audio_1.log

And here is the original log from when it only did the audio in 2 channel...

http://www.rfhdisruptor1.btinternet.co.uk/Encoded_audio_1_original.log

Thanks for helping again :)

18. newcomers

newcomers Member

hmmm.....id try making the mpeg from the original video file you have and the newly created audio file (the smaller one) and see what happens....if it doesnt work, maybe just try startng from the beginning (i know this takes a while but it'll be worth it if you have a perfect conversion)...and remember to select the 5.1 audio and to leave the "do not convert audio" UNTICKED

19. cooperman

cooperman Guest

Hi,
    Wonder if you can help. I have an NTSC DV camcorder as well as a Pal camcorder. I use Pinnacle fof creating my movies and have just hit a problem. I can't mix NTSC & PAL on the same video clip. Reading the articles it would appear that dvd2svcd may be the answer. How do I go about setting it all up to convert all of my NTSC AVI files to PAL AVI's. I use a P4 2.8Ghz running XP Pro. Any help would be much appreciated.

Cooperman

20. newcomers

newcomers Member

Hi there,

follow my guide above (steps 1-9) but in step 7 under the misc tab, set the input and output to both be avi

the rest of the guide should pretty much cover it for you