1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NTSC to PAL converter

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by Confuz647, May 28, 2003.

1. Confuz647

Confuz647 Member

Hello all,
    I was wondering if you could help me out with somthing, I was thinking maybe someone here would know this stuff, and since I have no clue what I need to buy. I am
    in dire need of your help!
    First off, I'll explain my situation, I'll not make it to long, because its
    likely to get boring.
    I recieved a home video form a friend in scotland, After wondering what was
    wrong for about a week I figured out that The polaritys of our VCR's are different, their VCR takes PAL and mine, NTSC, and so I cannot watch the Video.
    I was wondering what kind of converter I need to buy to be able to watch the video.
    Someone told me to buy a NTSC/PAL converter, I found a converter that is a NTSC to PAL Video converter, I was wondering if this will work or not, I mean, if this particular item is the thing I need to watch the video with my NTSC VCR, I really would like to know how the NTSC to PAL converter works, I hope I have not confused you, I would appretiate it if someone could help!

~Confuzzled

2. cylon

cylon Member

Well, here's some IF's,
    If your mate in scotland has video capture capabilities + if you have a DVD player that can play VCD's or SVCD's then your mate could capture the video + burn them for you as NTSC VCD's :) I can do that, but buggered if I can sort my problem out of capturing NTSC vids cos they come out as B+W!?!

3. cylon

cylon Member

actually, if he has vid capture then he / she can give you it in ANY format e.g AVI Mpegs etc that U can play back on your PC etc.

4. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

From what I understand by reading these boards, is it's relatively easy to convert from NTSC to PAL, but not the other way around. Something to do with PAL being better quality.

5. cylon

cylon Member

Well, if U could help me out I have asked for help in another recent forum. I got a NTSC playing video + like its playing in colour on my TV but through Power director which I capture with its B+W! I tried every NTSC combo but its all the same :-(

No probs ripping PAL though + converting them into NTSC SVCD's + Pal into SVCD's etc.

6. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

I've never tried to convert anything, so I'm not much help.

Anybody else got any ideas?

7. Confuz647

Confuz647 Member

I ordered a NTSC to PAL Video converter, I hope it works. If it doesn't, I'll be once again confuzzled, in other words confused, I don't know much about electronics, due to the fact I am only 15. lol. >.<

8. cylon

cylon Member

Well, I would have converted it into SVCD yank for you for the price of a few blank CD's ( I always am running out lol ), but if U got a converter then you should be alright :) . B.T.W if you can copy yank to Pal then I have a little job for you lol.

9. Confuz647

Confuz647 Member

o_O lol, thanks for the tips all :-D
    I hope the converter works, I hope I got the right one. With all I have read up on the systems, I am pretty sure I bought the correct kind. You can never be to sure though. ^_^

~confuz